Provence Itinerary fine tuning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, for anyone who has been following my "pickle", here is an update. These latest changes are the result of merging my plans and desires with those of my travelling companion. We still fit in a lot of what I had, but it is a bit less busy and includes a bit less driving.

weds - TGV to Arles. See Arles in the afternoon. Sleep Arles 1 night at Hotel Regence.

thurs - Pick up car and drive to Pont du Gard. Uzes for lunch and a wander. Les Baux in the late afternoon, early evening. Sleep St.Remy 2 nights at Hotel du Soliel.

fri - Driving day 1. Through the Luberon.

sat - Driving Day 2. A loop made up of a combination of parts of Stu's Lavender drive and "Northern" recommended drive. Sleep Avignon two nights at hotel Angleterre.

sun - Drop the car and have a car-free day by transit. Could be a visit to Isle sur la Sorgue by bus, or a day trip down south to Marsaille, Cassis or the Camargue by train. OR if we are up to it, keep the car for another day, and do another drive.

Mon - See Avignon's main sites in the morning, train to Nimes. Walk around Nimes. Sleep Nimes 1 night. Hotel Ampitheatre.

Tues - early train to Barcelona.

I know we should have our driving days on Sunday and Monday, but it just doesn't seem to work out. We aren't planning on shopping in Avingon or Nimes, just checking out the main sites, which all seem to be open daily.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:32 PM

I wouldn't consider doing the Camargue by train (is it even possible?). The Camargue is absolutely wonderful, but I do think you'd want to get in a car and explore it.

And generally speaking, train service almost everywhere on Sundays is more limited than on weekdays and Saturdays.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
No train to the Camargue, salty.
I did take the train from Avignon to Isle-Sur-La-Sorgue.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Camargue = car - got it!

We'll leave that option in the extend the car rental for the day category. I did find the bus schedule to Isle sur la Sorgue on a Sunday and it looks reasonable to catch the market.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 07:19 PM

The "Carmargue" part of the new postings caught my eye, because I am so excited to go there this summer when we, too, will be in Arles and environs. Because we won't have a car, I first investigated to see if it was feasible to do. I found several organized tours out of Arles in a jeep, as well as regular bus sevice (6/daily and 4/Sunday) leaving from the Arles station, and it looks, anyway, like the bus also goes on to Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer. My plan is to investigate these options at the TI- especially the horseback option, when we arrive. So maybe you won't need the car for that day...hope this helps! (I can't wait!)
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
before I sign off for the night there are some good restaurants in the Camargure if you are interested

POOF!!!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 07:29 PM

sglass: I don't know exactly what you have found in terms of tours of the Camargue, but I highly suggest that if you choose one of these it includes Aigues-Mortes, which to me, even though it is a tourist mecca in high season, is one of the most beautiful towns on earth. To see it in the off-season is to experience one of Europe's great gifts.