PROVENCE IN JULY

Nov 14th, 1999, 12:24 PM
Pete

PROVENCE IN JULY

I was wondering if anyone can tell me just how busy Provence gets around July 1st.
Is the spring a much better time to visit?
Thank you.

Nov 14th, 1999, 04:03 PM
Judy

Yes to your questions.

Whenever you decide to go, try the Cezanne Hotel in Aix.

Nov 15th, 1999, 02:57 AM
jo ann

Pete: We went to France for 2 weeks this past summer, which included 5 days in Provence. I was worried about overcrowding, but had no choice (boxed in by the school year and then 2 lengthy business trips in June). My other trips there have been late May and very early June.
We had so little problems with crowds that I was amazed! The part of Provence that we wanted was slightly inland: we based in St Remy, and wandered the area quite successfully (loved Les Baux and the other areas.) Our dates were 7/7 to 7/21, and the only spot in Provence that was too crowded by far was Avignon and we were told that it was because of their art festival. We had no problems driving the roads or with restaurant reservations or getting into museums, etc etc, and the weather was superb.
Hope that helps.

Nov 15th, 1999, 05:00 AM
Rex

A good thing (and a bad thing) about Avignon is that a lot of the "good stuff" is very close to the train station, which - - thanks to the TGV means you can be there barely 4-5 hours after stepping off your flight at CDG.

I had been to Arles and Orange in th summer before, and last month I went through Avignon on my way to eastern Provence. On a beautiful October saturday, the crowds in Avignon were as heavy as any you might find in July or august. So, I think that Avignon is a victim of its own appeal, at least whenever the weather is nice.

By the way, I had hoped to check out the TI in Avignon and made the mistake of going to pick up my rental car first. I never could find parking as close as the train station itself (about 800 yards, perhaps). So, if you're getting off the train in Avignon and want info, you might walk from the station and go get your car AFTERwards.

Best wishes,

Rex

Nov 16th, 1999, 06:46 AM
Ruth

Joann,

Where did you stay in St. Remy and would you recommend it?