Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid and the south in 10 days-- I need help !!

Nov 11th, 1999, 01:46 PM
Louis

I will be flying to Madrid in March I need help.
Should I fly from Madrid to Seville bothways and rent a car or drive to Toledo then drive to Granada, Cordoba, seville and then fly back to Madrid for 3 nights.
I need to know how many nights I should stay in each city considering I have 10 nights
I was planning to stay at the Casa de la Juderia in Seville, The Alhambra Palace in Granada.
In Madrid and any other stops I'm open to any suggestions as well as any ideas for Seville and Granada.
Any suggestions for the order I should visit each city
I appreciate all the Fordorites help--THANKS
LOU

Nov 12th, 1999, 05:36 AM
sam

Lou,
I would try flying to seville to eliminate driving time-- Have fun

Nov 12th, 1999, 06:05 AM
Dick

We made pretty much the same trip in March a few years ago. We drove from Madrid airport to Toledo, a pretty short trip, and spent the night there. We continued on the next day to Granada for two nights, then down to the coast and east to Marbella heading back inland to spend the night in Ronda. Then through the white villages to Sevilla for two nights, then back to Madrid on the high-speed train, dropping the rental car at the train station.

It was a lot of driving, but still gave us time to get a good overview of Andalucia so we could plan where we would want to return to. Two things to consider: (1) if you fly both ways to/from Sevilla you'll miss a lot of interesting countryside (which may or may not concern you) and Toledo (which should concern you) unless you do it as a day trip from Madrid, which is easily possible, and (2) although I haven't flown the Madrid/Sevilla route it's hard to imagine that it could be any quicker or more convenient than the train (about 2.5 hrs as I remember), so I'd recommend that over flying.

Nov 12th, 1999, 06:33 AM
Rex

The answer to a question like this will often be highly dependent on what US gateway cities will work for you? Are you aware of Spanair? and the host of lower cost airlines that fly into Spain from London and Brussels and other Europe gateway cities? (British Midland, may others - - see www.europebyair.com and www.virgin-express.com - - to name a few useful sites).

If you are flying "directly" into Spain (i.e., no overnight in any other country) - - whether Iberia, Spanair or another carrier, particularly another European carrier like Swissair, for example - - you should be able to get a free or low cost "stopover" for example, in Madrid, then continue by air on to Sevilla. Your car rental can then be one-way (keeping it in Spain) and minimizing your time spent driving.

Using Spanair, for example, and plugging in Madrid OR Sevilla from Washington Dulles for the dates March 3-13 gives identical fares ($418), with a trivial ($6) difference in the taxes. So you ought to be able to get one direction Madrid-Sevilla free as part of your transatlantic fare. NYC-MAD is even cheaper still on Delta (but no onward option to Sevilla); Lisbon is the cheapest of all on BA or TAP at $323 RT base price!

A recent thread here gave a number of thumbs up for Casa de la Juderia; for Granada, the Parador de Granada is frequently called the "best" parador in all of Spain (see www.parador.es for more info); it is located right inside the Alhambra - - but I do not think it is called the "Alhambra Palace" - - from the website www.eel.es/granada/gruk.htm - - I guess that both properties are inside the Alhambra itself, but I cannot find rates for either one.

Please feel free to write me if I can help you in any other way.

Best wishes,

Rex

Nov 12th, 1999, 09:46 AM
michele

Louis,

We flew from Madrid to Seville. I was told by my travel agent, who goes to Spain frequently, that the scenery from Madrid to Seville isn't worth the time it would take to drive.If you are pressed for time, I'd look into a flight. ( I think it took about 45 minutes and was a LITTLE less than the train).

The only two hotels directly on the Alhambra grounds are the parador and Hotel America. I stayed at both and preferred the America for its quirky charm. I am pretty sure the Alhambra Palace is walking distance to the Alhambra, so if you don't mind an uphill walk, you have a good location.
Enjoy your trip. Southern Spain is fascinating.

Nov 12th, 1999, 09:49 AM
michele

Louis,
Forgot to add this: I would stay overnight in Cordoba. It gets a lot of visitors during the day, but at night it's fairly empty and really magical. If you do a search on the forum, I mentioned the name of the hotel where we stayed there ( can't remember it now)that I would recommend. It's in Karen Brown's book, also. You can contact me at home where I have all my notes...be happy to help you.

Nov 12th, 1999, 04:04 PM
larry

Try driving the south of spain, and taking the train from Madrid

Nov 13th, 1999, 08:09 AM
Mary

I just returned from the south of spain and can highly recommend Seville and Cordoba Good Luck

Nov 13th, 1999, 10:49 AM
Dottie

Just back from 14 days in Madrid and the south (3 on business) we loved the fast train between Madrid and Seville, the AVE; reserve seats ahead of time thru RENFE office. I agree with the writer who said you miss a lot if you fly; either train or car gives you so much more of the country. I did Toledo as a day trip out of Madrid and loved everything except the lunch. We did Cordoba as a day trip by train out of Seville, and consider our Caballo Rojo meal there the trip's best. We stayed at the Casas dela Juderia four nights and loved it. Have lots more if you're interested.

Nov 14th, 1999, 01:27 PM
Lydia

We spent 10 days in Madrid. Took day trips to Toledo, Segovia and it took the rest of the days just to see Madrid.

Nov 14th, 1999, 07:32 PM
Deena

In May, we flew to Madrid for three days and took a day trip to Segovia. While then took a train to Toledo for two days (stayed at the Hostel de Cardenal) and took a train back to Madrid (not a very long train ride)to catch the AVE to Cordoba. We stayed there for three days (Hotel Conquistidor)and then took the train to Seville (for three days at Los Seises). Seville was my favorite city. We then took the train to Granada (it took about 3-4 hours) and stayed there for three days. Finally, we flew back from Granada to Madrid on Iberia Airline (we didn't have any problems). The last night in Madrid, we stayed near the airport to catch an early morning flight back to the U.S. It was a wonderful trip!

Nov 16th, 1999, 06:53 AM
Pushing this thread

For the person who still needs a place to stay in Granada - - see the msg from michele ([email protected])