Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Provence Daily Plans: Please Take a Look and Comment!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, Thanks to all who have provided such great information for our family's upcoming 1 month adventure to France, Switzerland and Italy. I'd really like to get any and all thoughts now on what I've laid out for our week in Provence (June 9-16). Are there things you'd skip with a family - things you'd add? Of course, we'll remain flexible and change things around based on our kids energy, weather, etc...

Travelling is me & DH (40s, lots energy), 2 sons (7 & 9 yrs old) and 5 yr old daughter and my mother (who has more energy than the rest of us together!) Prior to Provence, we'll be in Paris for 4 days, Switzerland/ Berner Oberland for 1 week --- and after Provence we are going on to Italy for 10 days (Cinque Terre and Venice).

OK - here goes..

Sat pm: Arrive Avignon TGV and pu rental car - Drive to our house for week in Lourmarin.

Sun: Church am if we can find services.. Afternoon drive to Gordes/Rousillon (which sounds like many things will be open on Sun)

Mon: Bedoin market in am... Stu's Lavendar drive around Sault, Mt Ventoux, etc.. Anyone know if wineries are open around Gigondas area on Mon?

Tues: Pont du Gard (maybe canoeing) and Uzes

Wed: Drive around Luberon & stop at villages Menerbes, LaCoste, Oppede, Bonnieux

Thurs: St Remy (mkt day?)& Les Baux - maybe Arles to see Coliseum for kids?

Fri: Cassis & Calenques?
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:57 PM

Your kids will tolerate all that car time?

Not that kids should dictate your holiday plans. But they have a way of making their feelings known -- esp in relatively hot weather, when time in the car could seem to them like "forcible confinement".

I've driven to all the places you mention -- but we are 2 adults with a high tolerance for car travel.

For ex.: Cassis and the calanques would be a BIG day trip, even if the distances are small by NA standards.

Monday and Friday seem like the most ambitious days.....
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

They're pretty used to car travel - and long trips.. but only only want to subject them to it if we're getting to a destination that has fun involved...We live about 45 minutes outside of Atlanta in suburbs and are used to driving a ways to get anywhere. We make a 10 hr trip each waay by car about 3x yr to see family in LA and they do fine.

Cassis is a 1 hr drive from Lourmarin.. however, not sure if it's worth going to spend a day since we'll be in Cinque Terre following week. I am trying to minimize car time.. without giving up seeing some of the best of Provence. Would really like thoughts on whether we should fit in some of the bigger cities - like Arles (Roman amphitheatre) or Avignon (Palais du Papes) to see major sights..or are there other great things to do with Kids that would also be fun for adults that I'm missing?

I did take Camargue off list - though think they'd enjoy it - due to long car travel...

Other thoughts??
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:06 AM

FYI – I think St. Remy’s market day is Wednesday. Here is the Provence market day schedule.
http://www.provencebeyond.com/a/calmktsday.html

I think it’s a good idea to take Camargue off list – your kids will be bored. But while in Provence, please try Camargue’s Fleur de Sel. It’s one of the best salt in the world.

It seems you are visiting lots of villages. It may be a good idea to mix in Arles or Avignon to visit small-scale cities for change of pace.
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:59 AM

We'll most likely be at the Bedoin market the same day you'll be there. I'm 6', 210#, sandy red hair. Wife is 5'8", thin, shoulder length brown hair. Market basket will be full with dinner stuff for Mon night.

Flip Wed & Thurs so you can catch the Wed market in St Remy.

I suspect that wineries will be open on Mon. Call Beaucastel (see my itinerary for the number), to verify this.

I think Cassis & Calenques followed by Cinque Terre might be a little redundent. Visit Avignon instead, expecially if you did not visit Arles.

Stu Dudley
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:25 AM

Mochi, thanks for the link to the list of markets!

Bill
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:27 AM

A few Things the kids might enjoy -

returning from the Pont du Gard, go to Beaucaire (across the river from Tarascon) and take in the free-flight bird show at the ruins of the old Château. Free flying eagles, hawks, falcons, even buzzards ! - my nephew loved it.

I don't know why people would think the kids would be bored in the Camargue !
you can take them to Aigues Mortes - a walled city where the Crusaders departed France. They'd probably love the turrets and feel of the place - and from just outside you can take a
Jeep Safari into the Camargue to see the flamingoes, bulls and small white wild horses. There are also places to take the same ride on horseback - but I doubt if that would be feasible with a five year old !

There's also a great zoo in Barben - not far from Salon de Provence.

The lavender won't be in full bloom while you're here and frankly
I doubt if the kids would enjoy the long lavender route drive.

As noted - the St. Rémy market is Wednesday morning.

Patricia
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

thanks to all and if anyone else would like to chime in - pls do!

Stu - you've helped immensely in our planning - I'll keep a look out for you in Bedoin.. Our family won't be able to be missed - two 40 something parents (husband 6'2" and me 5'2&quot and three little very well-behaved kids (ha ha ha!) And of course my mom - who's probably the only one in control!