Provence Base towns/christmas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 5 is travelling to Provence on Dec. 24th for 4-5 nights. We will take a train from Barcelona into France (maybe montpellier or avignon) and then rent a car. I'm planning on staying in st remy and visiting the luberon hill towns, such as gordes, roussillon, isle sur la sorgue, and I'd also like to see arles, possibly avignon, maybe uzes and pont du gard, though i'm not sure if that is too far. I'm wondering if it's best to base in st remy for all 5 nights, or to split it between arles, or avignon, or uzes. I'm wondering what town would be best for christmas eve and christmas day. I'm thinking most of the sights will be closed. We will have our fill of big cities on the rest of the trip. Any suggestions? Also, if you know of any apartments/houses in st remy that are walking distance to town. Thanks
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 02:58 PM

NellBell: In St. Remy, if you have a car, why not stay in the 18th century Chateau du Roussan...we last stayed there several years ago..the extensive grounds are wonderful, especially the long driveway guarded by plane trees....we practically had the place to ourselves, and it too was Christmas time...have since had reports that they have renovated nicely...ridiculously reasonable rates last I heard..only 5 minutes from town by car...in the country side. Nostradamus lived in one of the outbuildings at one time. Also visit his one-time home in the town.
For day trips, the towns mentioned are fairly easy drives..we did that, too.
Stu
http://www.chateau-de-roussan.com/
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Tower - Just returned from St. Remy and must tell you that we were terribly disappointed by what was once our beloved Chateau du Roussan! The last seven times we were in Provence, we stayed at the Chateau and loved its shabby chic-ness. This time around we checked out after only two nights -- what was once shabby-chic is now shabby-filthy. We will never stay there again -- a very sad state of affairs because we once truly loved the place.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 03:45 PM

If you stay somewhere around St-Rémy (and I'm very sorry to hear about the decline of the once-lovely Château de Roussan) you can go up to Les Baux on Christmas Eve for the Mass of the Shepherds, complete with their lambs. You might even consider staying down in the valley at Le Cabro d'Or, which is under the same ownership at the Oustau de Beaumanière but lower in price.

Basing near St-Rémy would put you in a good, central location for visiting the sights you list.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 05:19 PM

nellbell, what did you decide on a place to stay? My daughter and I are zeroing in on a couple of accomodations in St. Remy and Avignon in the same time period. Also looking for fun place for Christmas lunch or dinner.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 06:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
we love L'hotel on the main street in St remy.
www.hotelphoto.com
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Lavande...so very sorry to hear about the further decline at the Chateau du Roussan....what a shame. I've been sending freinds there for the past few years...
Stu
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 06:23 AM

Tower - When we were at the Chateau in September, we got the feeling that they'd just given up on the place and are on a rapid decline. It was very sad for us as we had been very, very fond of the Chateau, had stayed there many times, and directed friends to their doorstep, as well. We're hoping that the Chateau's owners will sell it to someone who has the money and interest necessary to return it to its former glory. It's far too beautiful a spot to watch it turn to decay and ruin.