Provence B&B

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 11:03 AM
Sandy

Provence B&B

Hi,
Planning trip to France Sept 2001. Any suggestions for a B&B as a base for a week of touring Provence-will have a car rental. Would like to find double with breakfast for no more than $100 US. Has anyone stayed in these that are recommended in Karen Browns book: Le Balcon De Rosine, La Croix Du Gres? Really appreciate any help. THANKS-

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 11:55 AM
Barbara

We recently stayed at the St Cristophe in Aix. It was terrific. I believe it was 420 Francs. A full service hotel with a very good restaurant and a bar. We had reserved somewhere else but moved after two nights.The people there were very helpful.

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 03:24 PM
Anne

Hi Sandy,
We stayed at Les Clos des Saumanes 9 km outside of Avignon. Quite beautiful with swimming pool and views, great breakfast, wonderful hosts. You could email the hosts, Elisabeth et Philipe Lambert at [email protected]. We found them through the French B & B website www.fleurs-soleil.tm.fr
It's good you're planning ahead.

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 05:13 PM
hildy

We're also planning to be in Provence in September, 2001. I had to respond because we've always found Karen Brown's recommendations to be right on target. I've used her books for several of our trips and find them very helpful, both as to sightseeing and for accommodations. You have to be discerning and zero in on exactly what you're interested in. I've even planned itineraries based on her recommendations of where to stay. We haven't done our research yet, however, but are also planning to travel to Tuscany, Florence and Cinque Terre in Italy, which my son fell in love with when he spent a summer abroad. Adieu.

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 01:05 PM
Sandy

THANKS for the replys. We have decided on Les Clos des Saumanes, recommended here and in Karen Brown's book. Any help on day trips of interest from this location (near Avignon) would be greatly appreciated, we will have 7 days at this B&B in Provence. Interested in local market days also. Thanks again.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 11:22 AM
Sue

From a lovely book called "Markets of Provence" by Long & Wakely, here are market days: (The first one listed is the featured one in the book)

Monday: Cadenet, Bedarrides, Bedoin, Bollene, Cavaillon, Fontvieille, Forcalquier, Goult, Lauris, Mazan, Nimes, Piolenc, Saint-Didier, Saint-Saturnin-les-Avignon, Tulette.

Tuesday: La Tour d'Aigues, Aix-en-Provence, Beaumes-de-Venise, Caderousse, Caromb, Cucuron, Fontaine-de-Vaucluse, Gordes, Grignan, Lapalud, Marguerittes, Mondragon, Mormoiron, Saint-Saturnin-d'Apt, Tarascon, Vaison-la-Romaine.

Wednesday: St. Remy de Provence, Aigues-Mortes, Bagnols-sur-Ceze, Buis-les-Baronnies, Chateauneuf-de-Gadagne, Entraigues, Cargas, Goult, Malaucene, Merindol, Morieres, Rognes, Roussillon, St-Martin-de-Castillon, Salon, Sault, Serignan-du-Comtat, Sommieres, Le Thor, Valreas, Velleron, Villes-sur-Auzon, Violes.

Thursday: Aix-en-Provence, Anduze, Ansouis, Aubignan, Les Baux-de-Provence, Beaucaire, Cairanne, Caumont-sur-Durance, Mallemort-du-Comtat, Maussane-les-Alpilles, Mirabeau, Nyons, Oppede-le-Vieux, Orange, Le Pontet, Robion, Rochegude, Velleron, Villeneuve-les-Avignon.

Friday: Bonnieux, Caromb, Carpentras, Chateuneuf-du-Pape, Courthezon, Eygalieres, Eyguieres, Eyragues, Fontvieille, Lagnes, Lourmarin, Marguerittes, Nimes, Pertuis, Suze-la-Rousse, Taulignan, Visan.

Saturday: Apt, Aix-en-Provence, Beaumont, Camaret, Cheval Blanc, Crillon-le-Brave, Mornas, Oppede, Pernes-les-Fontaines, Richerenches, Ste-Cecile-les-Vignes, St-Martin-de-la-Brasque, Saint-Remy, Sommieres, Le Thor, Uzes, Valreas.

Sunday: Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, Aigues-Mortes, Beaucaire, Camaret, Colonzelle, Chateaurenard, Jonquieres, Marguerittes, Mirabeau, Mormoiron, Sorgues.

Aren't you sorry you asked? I can recommend the market at Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, a very well-known one for the antiques, as well as food and products of Provence. It is very crowded.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:11 AM
beth anderson

topping for those of us going to Provence!!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 10:52 AM
ggrant

Thank you so much for the market info. I will be there June 24 through
July 1, if anyone would like to meet for a drink and to share information.