Reload this Page >

Traveling solo in Spain. Bad Idea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Hudson

I am traveling throughout Spain for aproximately six weeks. My journey will begin in Madrid. My interest is in visiting the wine producing regions but not limited to them. I plan to include as many areas of interest along the way as I can. The majority of the time, I will be traveling alone. My Spanish is limited at the moment yet I am improving it. Is this a bad idea? Does anyone have any suggestions regarding traveling alone or places to go?<BR><BR>Thanks for any help!

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 06:24 PM
CathyM

Hudson-<BR>I'm also interested in this topic. I visited Central/southern Spain last fall with a friend and am planning on heading back in April to Galicia for a week by myself. <BR><BR>I also don't speak much Spanish (although I bought a Berlitz CD that I play in the car and hope some of it "sticks") much less the gallego language spoken throughout Galicia.<BR><BR>I'm not too worried about language or safety. I figure I'll bring my Berlitz guide and some notecards to write on if I really get stuck. My biggest concern is just being lonely on my own for a week with no one to talk to!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 09:51 PM
Hudson

Hey Cathy!<BR><BR>Thanks for the reply. I noticed your question regarding Galicia. Did you book your reservations online? I am such a slacker I plan to stay in Vigo for a night before driving to Ribera del Duero, Rioja and on to Penedes (I may have to enjoy the Barcelona scene as well)<BR><BR>The intitial part of my trip is directed at the central and southern portion of Spain. How was your experience there?<BR><BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:05 PM
CathyM

Hudson,<BR>I really can't help you with the booking question. For my upcoming trip I'm using a buddy-pass so I'm flying stand-by. I was supposed to use the pass for my trip last September but with the Sept 11 tragedy there was a temporary embargo on using the pass. I shopped online a bit (making sure I knew the fares out there) then called the airline directly and got the same fare I would have got on-line. It was about 8 days before my trip and I got a great fare but I think the fare and the availability was mainly due to the events of Sept 11.<BR><BR>Central and Southern Spain were remarkable. I really fell in love with this country. I've visited many countries in Europe and especially love Italy and Spain. The people are so friendly,it was clean, and the food was the best I've had in Europe. I was with a friend but we spent alot of time on our own and I didn't experience any problems with language (that is my lack of knowledge of spanish)-used alot of gestures and pointing, and I always felt safe. We spent 3 days in Sevilla and I could have easily stayed a week. I daytripped to Cordoba on my own and was enchanted by this town - could have spent the evening easily. We also spent 2 nights in Arcos and a night in Ronda, driving the route of the Pueblo Blancos. I really like this area - the people were so nice and the small towns had alot of atmosphere. We also spent 2 nights in Granada, visiting the Alhambra twice (once at night and once in the evenings). In central Spain we visited Toledo, Segovia and Salamanca and spent 2 nights in each. I was very glad we did not just do these cities as day trips from Madrid. It wouldn't have done them justice.<BR><BR>Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll be glad to help.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Margo

I usually travel alone when I do my research for my books. I am a woman and I traveled to 26 cities in 2 1/2 months. I do not speak any Spanish. I will e-mail you (& whoever wants it) the tips I have in the before you leave chapter. Hope it helps. It is too much info to paste here