Provence and the Riviera

Apr 16th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Provence and the Riviera

Hello,
My husband and I will be taking the train from Paris to Avignon with the intention of exploring the many wonderful cities in Provence. We will be arriving in Avignon on a Saturday and will be flying out the following Saturday from Nice. I am trying to come up with an itinerary so that I can make hotel reservations. I have come across some great advice on this site and wanted to find out if anyone has some specific suggestions for hotels and things we must see and do.

I had originally planned to spend each night in a different place, i.e. Avignon, Les Baux, Arles, etc. however, it sounds as though we would be moving around too much and that these cities may be bigger and more "touristy" than what we are looking for. I would like to find a quaint inn or b&b in the country and then take days trips.

Does staying in St. Remy for 4 nights and then driving to Nice and staying there for 3 nights sound appropriate. Are there any nice towns or places to stay just outside of Nice so we aren't right in the middle of the city?

Stu Dudley - apparently you seem to be the "go to" man for answers on Provence. Might you be able to send me a copy of the Provence itinerary you have?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!!!
Apr 16th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Beginning your visit to Provence by staying in or near St-Rémy will work very well for you. From there you can visit Avignon, Arles, les Baux (not a town, BTW), perhaps even the fascinating Camargue.

As for the Nice area, I'd recommend staying just below St-Paul-de-Vence in the charming small inn Le Hameau. From there it's only a 20-minute-or-so drive to Nice, and in the immediate vicinity you can visit Tourrette-sur-Loup, Vence, Mougins, Grasse, and Cannes.
Apr 16th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

thanks! this is very helpful!
Apr 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Send me an e-mail at [email protected] & I'll send you my itinerary.

I'm tied up today - FIL is visiting & we're doing the once-over-lightly tour of San Francisco this afternoon.

Stu Dudley
Apr 16th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Hi There,

just outside of nice are some great places to see. St. Pauls a beautiful old village on a hill. Eze Village a beautiful old village on a hill overlooking the ocean (no.1 in my books) and monacco. These three places are all just a cheap bus ride away.

Good Luck

Theresa

www.nomadwannabe.com