Florence - to visit or not to visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been told to go see Florence but I have a concern - I get bored w/museums, art, etc - so the idea of trekking around the heart of the Renaissance is not appealing to me (however it is to my husband). I like sight seeing and experiencing culture through food, wine, architecture, etc. We are also going to Rome and probably Venice and are torn btwn Cinque Terre and the Amalfi Coast.

What is there for me to enjoy in Florence?

Thanks for your help,
April
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:29 AM

>What is there for me to enjoy in Florence?<

There's plenty!

Florence has MUCH MORE to offer than just its museums - it has food, wine, architecture, etc...
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Can you be more specific? I know that Florence will have culture - but I want to know what there is to do there besides art and museums.

Also, I know people usually do day trips into the country but we won't have a car and don't plan on renting one. So I think that would limit us as well.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Wespent 4 days in Florence without visiting one art gallery or museum!
Get on the bus or train and visit Pisa, San Gimignano etc. So much to see youll never have enough time!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Most cities in Italy have food, wine and architecture. Florence's forte is art.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Yes, there is plenty to do in Florence, however if one is has little or no interest in art and museums, the great Tuscan food, wine, architecture (with the exception of the brilliant duomo, or course), is better experienced elsewhere in Tuscany IMO. For anyone with even a passing interest in Renaissance art, the museums of Florence are must sees but the city itself does little for me. I personally would use Siena as a base and day-trip to Florence, the Tuscan hill towns and/or Chianti.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:00 AM

You can also do 'daytrips' of a sort within Florence.

* Take a walk through the Oltrarno, the neighborhood on the other side of the Arno River from the main tourist sites.

* Walk, bus, or taxi to Piazzale Michelangelo for a scenic overlook of Florence and hills and houses with gardens. It's an easy walk back down the hill into Florence.

* Take local #7 bus to Fiesole, a town overlooking Florence. There's a few interesting churches, some Roman ruins, great cafes to linger over a glass of wine and enjoy the view.

* Choose a cafe in any piazza, order a beverage, and linger as long as you'd like. Once you've purchased something, the table is yours 'til you feel like leaving. A friend and I once spent 2.5 hours over one cup of hot chocolate in the poshest cafe in Florence--no problem staying that long, and we had a great time in conversation and watching all the life around us.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:06 AM

There is TONS to do in Florence!

You can easily wander through the San Lorenzo market, see and climb the Duomo (or Campinile), walk along the river and take in spectacular views. Wander through the Oltrano district, visit the Boboli Gardens, you HAVE to see David if nothing else in Florence...sit in the square and people watch...eat gelato! Catch the bus up to Fiesole and check out the gorgeous views.

I would recommend at least two days in Florence...if only to take in a horseback riding/wine tour. We did this during our last visit there and it was our favourite day of the entire trip!

They pick you up in town (right at the McD's at the train station), drive you to San Gimignano, then horseback riding, then drive you to Monteriggiono..wine tasting and dinner, and then drive you back to town. It was totally fabulous!

Let me know if you want more details - I also wrote about it in my trip report too.

You won't regret going to Florence.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Please don't deny your husband the opportunity to trek around the heart of the Renaissance if that appeals to him! Get "The Agony and the Ecstacy" from Netflix and see if that makes you a bit interested, too. Make a reservation for the Uffizi. Take the Rick Steves tour, and when you get bored, go have a drink on their rooftop and admire the view while your husband finishes. Both of you will have lovely experiences.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Little post script here.

Rome is HUGE! Everything about it is BIG, BIG, BIG.

You will think Florence is positively "provincial" compared to Rome...it's a bit of a breath of fresh air from the grandeur and size of Rome.

Florence may make a nice break from Rome before you head to the CT, or to Venice I think.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:15 AM
MaureenB

Definitely give Florence a try. Your husband wants to see the art there, and that alone means you must go. You might be surprised, also, if you see the Birth of Venus, you might change your mind about art!

But, also, as others have mentioned, Florence is a smallish city and walking there is so much fun. Do you like window-shopping? There are lots of designer shops there. Beautiful little windy streets to discover.

The architecture alone will keep you busy. It's stunning. Great food and wine, of course, on every corner.

Don't pass up Florence.
FYI, here's my trip report there:
Florence-- http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34813784

>-

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Florence has some awesome restaurants and great shopping and ambience...let your husband go to the museum's...you can shop....
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Right...I was just going to suggest shopping. Do a little pre-trip price investigation, and when you're in Florence, go on a trek to find the perfect purse (or leather jacket or gloves). With DH safely in a musuem, you'll actually have time to go in LOTS of stores, rather than just a couple.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:42 AM

a
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:50 AM

You should really rent a travel video on the city and look at some Guidebooks so you can see what the city has to offer.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:11 AM

How many days/nights is your trip? How much time do you plan on staying in the other places? If it's too muich to fit into your trip, I would skip it instead of trying to cram it in.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:26 AM

You may be suprised and enjoy the museums or even better, the art in the churches. I was never interested in Renaissance art (I always skipped those galleries in any US museum we went to) but found myself enthralled when visiting the Ufizzi and many of the churches in Florence.

And if you don't get hooked, there's always the shopping!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:37 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Just a little story...

I "took" my husband to Europe for his first trip when we were in our 20s. He had little interest in visiting museums prior to our trip; claimed he wasn't into art the way I was, that he didn't have my background, yadayadayada.

Long story short: who ended up being the one to spend hours in museums? Who ended up being the one who wanted to visit certain museums two days in a row? Who discovered a passion he didn't know he had?

Point: don't underestimate the power of seeing art <i>in person</i>. There's a reason all that &quot;stuff&quot; is so famous, so popular...it's compelling in ways you cannot begin to appreciate simply by looking at prints or books.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:57 AM

You might like the ambience of Siena (as one person recommended). I appreciated the art treasures in Florence, but not the crowds of tourists. I found Siena to be MUCH less touristed, but still wonderful in terms of food, architecture, Italian culture/lifestyle.

That said, if your husband loves art, you might consider a compromise of going into Florence on a day trip to visit the Uffizi and Academia museums. Do some pre-study of these artworks (Botocelli's Birth of Venus, for one), and you will appreciate them more when you see the real paintings.

I don't think you should skip Florence altogether. As another person suggested, you can also climb the tower of the duomo for magnificent views (something I wish I had done).

Susan
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 10:57 AM
ira

Hi C,

&gt;I like sight seeing and experiencing culture through food, wine, architecture, etc. ... What is there for me to enjoy in Florence? &lt;

You might like the food, wine, architecture, etc.

Have you looked up Florence under &quot;destinations&quot;?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -