Provence and Paris

Dec 12th, 2000, 02:40 PM
Gail

Provence and Paris

I am taking my teenage children to Provence and Paris in April. We will stay 3 nights in Avignon at the Hotel d'Europe, 3 nights in Arles at the Hotel D'Arlatan and 3 nights in Paris at the St. Germain Left Bank Hotel.We will arrive at CDG airport, take the TGV to Avignon rent a car and take side trips for 6 days then return to Paris via the TGV. I would appreciate any comments on these hotels or suggestions of what we should do and see.

Dec 12th, 2000, 04:38 PM
Elizabeth

This is almost exactly the trip that I'm taking this coming 2 weeks! If you would like, please email me at [email protected] after the 30th and I'll be happy to let you know what I think. This is my fifth time to Paris, but first to Provence so I'm excited (and hoping for no snow! ;-)) about that part.

Dec 14th, 2000, 12:10 AM
Melissa

Ooo, I just went to Avignon this year. The Papal Palace is very educational! My favorite restaurant near the palace is a place called L'Epicerie, but go early if you don't have reservations.

If you have time, take a bus tour from Avignon to Orange and Vaison-la-Romaine, as well.

Dec 14th, 2000, 08:18 AM
Sue

Drive over to see the Pont du Gard Roman aquaduct from Avignon. The Roman ruins at Glanum are fascinating (near St. Remy de Provence). From Arles, take a side trip to Les Baux de Provence, a ruined medieval citadel perched high on a cliff. I liked Aigues Mortes, a 13th century walled city from whence Louis IX left for the crusades.

Dec 14th, 2000, 08:32 AM
Diane

The Hotel D'Arlatan is a very nice hotel. We stayed there last year. The room was quite nice, though small. The bath was terrific. The fact that they park your car for you in their (tiny) garage is an added bonus. The hotel is centrally located, but we had a bit of trouble getting to the hotel initially. We later found other, easier routes. Study your map before you arrive.

Dec 14th, 2000, 08:39 AM
elaine

Hi Gail
Although it's been a number of years since I stayed there, I will also give thumbs up to the d'Europe and the d'Arlatan. Very charming, great locations. I got stranded in the bathtub in the d'Arlatan, one of my most embarrassing experiences in a sort of Lucy episode, but that wouldn't keep me from strongly recommending the hotel.
I have not stayed at your Paris hotel, but walked by it just last week, so can vouch for its attractive location.
Your trip sounds wonderful.
If you want to see my Paris file for sightseeing suggestions, feel free to email

Dec 14th, 2000, 10:14 AM
Kristi

did a similar trip 2 years ago -- flew o Paris, TGV to Avignon where we spent 5 nights, then TGV to Paris where we spent 5 nights. Avignon was a great base for exploring Provence, and driving to various cities (Il Sur La Sorgue, Nimes, Arles, etc.) was easy. The Pont Du Gard is great. My one recommendation -- if at all possible reserve your train trip to Avignon before you leave. We had no problem getting tickets, but the only seats left were in the smoking car. Our French companions in the car smoked the entire way and it was overpowering. Have fun!