SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Nov 30th, 2000, 02:46 PM
susanne

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

PLANNING A TRIP TO VENICE AND FLORENCE AT THE END OF MARCH. FROM THE WEBSITE RAVES AND RANTS, WE'VE CONSIDERED THE HERMITAGE HOTEL IN FLORENCE AND THE METROPOLE HOTEL IN VENICE. CAN SOMEONE GIVE US INFORMATION ON THE EUROSTAR BETWEEN THE FLORENCE AIRPORT AND VENICE? HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE? IS TWO DAYS IN VENICE ENOUGH? MANY THANKS- DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'D DO WITHOUT FODORS. THEY'VE HELPED US PLAN ALL OUR TRIPS!

Nov 30th, 2000, 03:46 PM
Rex

I suggest that you:

a) find the caps lock key

b) re-post this message with the heading "Questions about travel between Florence and Venice".

And you can find Italian train info at www.fs-on-line.com - - with timetables at least.

Two days in Venice "long enough"? To build a bridge? No. To make love? Maybe. To run into a lot of tourists? You betcha.

Nov 30th, 2000, 03:47 PM
xxx

Posting a message in all caps is like SHOUTING!

Nov 30th, 2000, 03:53 PM
Thyra

Hi Susanne, sorry about the above comments. But in Internet lingo, all caps is construed as shouting to emphasize a point. Anyway, in terms of two days in Venice, my husband and I spent 2 and a half days there and felt satisfied, but knowing that we would return. IMO the best thing to do in Venice is to sit in sidewalk cafes, and get lost for hours on end on the twisty turny walkways. We did not stay in any of the hotels you mentioned so can't comment on those, I can say that we were there in the end of March and LOVED it! St. Mark's square nothing like the hoards of tourists we'd heard about, the weather was sunny the first day and overcast the second. Not cold enough to keep me from eating gelato by a long shot, though I did so wearing gloves. Bon Voyage.

Nov 30th, 2000, 04:30 PM
Rex

Thyra - - why are you apologizing for my posting? I don't see your reply giving her "INFORMATION ON THE EUROSTAR BETWEEN THE FLORENCE AIRPORT AND VENICE" - - as she requested.

At least I directed her to a website where she can get the answer to her question.

And I made suggestions on how she can get better information from this site.

Nov 30th, 2000, 04:52 PM
Thyra

Rex, no offence intended. Please unruffle your feathers! When I first began posting on message boards, I got "scared off" a few because of the lambasting I recieved when I posted without adhearing to the rules I knew nothing about... now again, please I don't mean to imply that you lambasted anyone! But sometimes people who don't often use the Internet are unaware of the protocol, your advise in that regard was spot on the money! Maybe my phrase "I apologize for" , should have been more correctly written another way. I was only trying to add a lighter touch. BTW I always read your posts and you have a great deal of relevant information which I and I am sure a great many other people appreciate, thank you.

Nov 30th, 2000, 07:20 PM
Rex

Okay, Thyra - - feathers unruffled. And I will try to remember to use a lighter touch.

She DID say "DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'D DO WITHOUT FODORS. THEY'VE HELPED US PLAN ALL OUR TRIPS" - - this led me to believe that she could have or should have seen similar admonitions like this before. This made for fair game for a bit of ribbing - - on the "how long in Venice" question - - or so I reasoned.

Dec 1st, 2000, 07:26 AM
Paulo

There's no train connection between Florence's airport and the city that I know of. Beware that very often overseas flights to "Florence" actually land at Pisa's airport. In any event, you would have to find a means of transportation from the airport (be it in Florence or Pisa) to Florence's Sta. Maria Novella station. There are direct trains from Pisa's airport to Florence but depending on the arrival time it may be faster to take a taxi to Pisa's central station and a train thereafter.

Between Florence and Venice there are 5 Eurostar frequencies that run at 8:42am, 12:42pm, 2:42pm, 6:42pm and 8:42pm. Travel time is 2:50 hours.

Paulo

PS. Susanne, in my opinion the caps=shouting convention isn't really the problem. Don't you agree that the replies to your post (lacking visual pollution) are much easier to read?

Dec 10th, 2000, 05:24 PM
susanne

My thanks to Thyra and Paolo.

My apologies to Rex for my ignorance.

Dec 11th, 2000, 05:13 PM
Larry

My wife and I spent 2 days in Venice and saw a lot. We could have spent a week. We enjoy getting off the beaten path. And Venice has a lot of "back allys." I highly recommend the evening concerts in St Marks and a side trip to Burano (sp??) where they make the lace.

Dec 14th, 2000, 10:26 AM
amy

I just got back from Italy.
2 days in Venice
3 days in Florence

That was PLENTY for me, although I would've rather spent more time in Venice than Florence. I think we covered almost every museum in each place.
But there was no rest time for the weary. So maybe a day more in each would have been better! Enjoy!!

PS - Go to the Restaurant "Paoli" in Florence - it was GREAT!!!
Great atmosphere and Great food!!