Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Provence?After Marseille airport landing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pretty much have my intinerary figured out...St Remy, Gordes and Aix for 13 days. We will be arriving around 2pm in Marseille. We will rent a car. We know will be exhausted after 2 flight changes. I would like to stay in Aix first, BUT should we go to St Remy first, Gordes, then Aix(10am flight returning to the US)? Need help from Provence experts please? Judy
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 05:54 AM

Do you mean on your first day, after arrival in Marseille? If so, absolutely not. Just go to your hotel in Aix.

Or are you asking about the order in which you should visit things during your 13 days? I'd head right to St-Rémy myself, and end the trip up in Aix. It's only about 45 minutes to an hour to drive to St-Rémy.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

StCirq, that is exactly what I was asking...the order for the trip! I think 1 hour or so would be doable after our flight. We drove further when we went to Wales from Manchester airport and we survived. Thanks so much StCirq for your input. I can not wait to go! It looks so wonderful there!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Last June, due to canceled flights, etc. I arrived at Marseilles airport at 11 p.m. I drove to St.Remy in the hour or so St. Cirq mentioned. Once you are on the Autoroute it is a breeze. Drive between Aix and St. Remy is easy too.

You will love this part of the world. Do not miss the Wednesday outdoor morning market in St. Remy. It is a gem.

Have a great trip.

Anthony
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:41 AM

It all depends on what day of the week you arrive. If you arrive on a Sat or Sun and hit Aix first, most stores will be closed Sunday & Monday morning - not a good time to see Aix at it's best. St Remy & the Luberon would be a better place to start. Aix has an excellent market on Tues, Thurs, and Sat mornings. Some stores are closed Monday morning in St Remy (usually my wife's favorites are the ones closed).

Also, I would plan the sequence so you're near Gordes on a Sunday morning so you can visit the l'Isle sur la Sorgue market (get there by 8:30 "in season&quot.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Anthony and Stu for the feedback! We will be arriving on a Wed afternoon. Will probably stay in St Remy till Monday(maybe tweek things a bit for Gordes)then onto Gordes then Aix. I am not ordinarily a big shopper on holiday,,,just look for bits and pieces of lovelies. I do especially want to see Roman ruins and do some hiking/walking and experience Provence .
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Since you'll miss the Wednesday market in St-Rémy, you might want to drive to Arles on Saturday and catch the market there - it's huge and wonderful.

And don't miss either Joël Durand's chocolate shop in St-Rémy (3 blvd. Victor Hugo) or Le Petit Duc, right down the street (for amazing nougats and cookies and sweets - http://www.petit-duc.com/)
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:39 AM
jay

We just flew in and out of there for the holidays. The airport is no big deal and very easy to use. we got in at 4:30 pm and drove to Arles our first night. That drive is no problem and you will have no problem during the day. Do you have a place to stay in Aix? We stayed at a converted 13th century convent.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks St Cirq for the "sweet" advice ;-). Jay, could you tell me the name? This weekend I am doing my room search....ah bliss!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 01:03 PM
jay

Judy it is called the Bastide du Ray Rene if I am reading my writing correctly. It is on the outside of the center of town but was a very nice place and rather inexpensive. It is part of a chain called Pierre & Vacances. I would recommend it highly.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Jay, I tried that place(part of a chain) and they were booked. I have found places in St Remy and Gordes, but not in Aix...any other suggestions? I do do need a place with parking and would like to be near the center under 150$.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 07:59 AM

For Aix, check out Le Manoir. Looks great from the outside, a little haven of serenity in the middle of old Aix. Reviews of the rooms have been less enthusiastic. We stayed in the Rotonde, which was very pleasant. We cannot recommend the St. Christophe; we had a junior suite, which consisted of a bathroom with the bed on a "mezzanine" overhead. Crowded and hot in the summer.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Hi Mimar, Thanks for the input. I looked at the Aquabella Hotel and found a decent rate 130 Euros on Orbitz. It is about the amount I thought to pay. I looked at Le Manoir site too. Also looked in the Grand Hotel Negre Coste and e-mailed them...looked good too!
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 03:10 PM

You probably already know this, but there are wonderful Roman ruins just outside of St. Remy. The big monuments are just out in the open, but something else (I didn't go) I think called Glarum, charged admission. Anyway, this is all very close to the monastery where Van Gogh lived for a while. All Van Gogh connections aside, the cloister here is one of my very favorite places ever. Make sure you see it.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Guy for the info. I am thrilled to be able to see so many Roman ruins...I just love them!