Proposal Location Ideas?

Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proposal Location Ideas?

My girlfriend and I are traveling through Europe from November into January. We'll be visiting Florence, Venice, Basel, Colmar, Strasbourg, Rothenberg, Nuremberg, Salzburg, Vienna, Budapest, Bruges, Paris, and Barcelona

My question is, does anyone who has been to these cities have any beautiful settings they would recommend for a proposal? Ideally something kind of off of the beaten path. When we travel, we love finding unknown parts of the city that are beautiful, cool to look at, historical, etc. And we love views of the city, so those are always a plus

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, fill in the blank in this sentence: "We got engaged in ________." Paris? Sure. Rothenberg? Not so much.

Next: What is the icon of Paris? The Eiffel Tower, of course. Every night (look up the times) the tower is illuminated with sparkling lights. Time the question to just before then, I assume the answer will be "Yes." And then the tower lights up.

Where to do this, since the tower is visible from all over? https://www.pariscityvision.com/en/p...s-eiffel-tower

Icing on the cake: Reveal a bottle of champagne and two glasses that were hidden in your day bag.

Luck!

Last edited by AJPeabody; Oct 22nd, 2022 at 08:24 AM.
Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 08:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"... off the beaten path." How public do you want this moment to be? I'm likely old enough to be your grandmother, so definitely from another era, but I wouldn't want an audience of strangers. I'd prefer a place and time when the two of us were pretty much alone. If none of your destinations have any particular meaning to you, I'd just wait until the moment felt "right."
Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 08:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Congratulations . . .

Now - Whoa -- from your OP it sounds like you might have two months or more . . . However from one of your other threads you say the trip is only from Nov 30 - Jan 10. So just under six weeks - 40 days to be exact not counting transatlantic flight days. You have thirteen destinations - after deducting at least 8 or 9 full days for in-Europe travel you'll have less than 2.5 days per city. And in winter travel delays could cut even that.

I wouldn't worry so much about where to propose, and more about exhaustion. If your city list is in chronological order, by the time you get to say Budapest you may not know (or care) where you are.

Are all of these cities 'musts'? If it was me (and it isn't) I'd cut back to the 8 or 9 cities that 'feel' most important to the two of us. And even that might be a bit rushed.
Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 09:01 AM

Following AJPeabody's lead, in a gondola in Venice. But Paris gets my vote. Congrats!
Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After that itinerary, I hope you'll still be together
Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jean View Post
"... off the beaten path." How public do you want this moment to be? I'm likely old enough to be your grandmother, so definitely from another era, but I wouldn't want an audience of strangers. I'd prefer a place and time when the two of us were pretty much alone. If none of your destinations have any particular meaning to you, I'd just wait until the moment felt "right."
We're the same way, not looking to be in front of a crowd if possible
Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 10:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In the cold.
In a spa in Budapest

Széchenyi Thermal Spa, I suspect they can throw in some champagne

Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 12:24 PM

I would propose early on so your GF gets to enjoy being engaged and wearing the ring during the trip. You might be tired in Florence and Venice is perfect.

This is where I would do it: the top of the bell tower of San Giorgio Maggiore on the Giudecca.

It is lovely to see all of Venice spread out in front of you. People often do the tower in San Marco, but lines are terribly long and it is always so crowded. Views from San Giorgio are fabulous. The whole little trip over there by vaporetto and walking to the church is beautiful. Look at a map of Venice and pictures of the church. Giudecca is one of the main islands you see, most of it facing Dorsoduro, but the tip with the church can be seen from San Marco. Nothing wrong with proposing on a gondola ride or in Paris, or on a carriage ride in Vienna, etc., but San Giorgio gives you everything you asked for: beautiful views of a most glorious city, slightly off the beaten path, cool to look at, away from crowds and historical, plus it is romantic and less typical than other places. There are so many beautiful places in Venice, but I think this will be less crowded and seem more like “your special place.”

If either of you are very religious, you could do the bell tower and afterwards go inside the church to propose.

https://www.cntraveler.com/activitie...orgio-maggiore

Last edited by Sassafrass; Oct 22nd, 2022 at 12:47 PM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 11:18 AM

In Paris, I suggest you the Roseraie of the Jardins de Bagatelle... So atypic and romantic.
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 01:15 PM

We got engaged in a restaurant in Paris. We have never been back there, so it remains a special memory. I would recommend an indoor setting like this because of the cold weather. Or Venice, which is just made for lovers - everywhere there seems to be people holding hands. And if the weather were better I would recommend Minnewater (Lake of Love) and the Lovers' Bridge in Bruges.

https://visit-bruges.be/see/places-i...-lovers-bridge

But I have to say, if it is really cold and the setting is wintery, that might be interesting too. Perhaps you can just organise a tour of all these places and go for the one that is most magical when you are there. Chattering teeth is not so romantic!

Lavandula

Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 01:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Wherever it is, propose on the last day of the vacation.
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 05:38 PM

It may help everyone here give advice if you let us know your itinerary.

Have there been any changes since this thread? Trip Itinerary Recommendations?

I have a few more questions: have you and your gf gone ring shopping together? I say this because the obvious: is this a question you are absolutely sure the answer to? I'm honestly trying to be helpful, and not "mean.": if not, you may want to hold off towards the end of the trip. But if I remember correctly, this is the part of your very long and rushed trip that includes her family, which is more awkward regardless. FWIW, I was proposed to in front of my parents. Do NOT do that. And I'd not let them know ahead of time either.

I do not recall where Paris and Venice where in your long list of cities but agree either city is an obvious choice. But getting proposed to in the cold is not my idea of romantic, no offense.

Is there a particular spot in either of those two towns that might be of significance to your gf?
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by cdnyul View Post
Wherever it is, propose on the last day of the vacation.
Very curious as to why you would wait until the end.
I would much prefer the beginning and be engaged during the rest of the trip, also be able to celebrate the engagement with all of the family they will be seeing.
I asked DH (without telling him my feelings) trying to get him to be objective. He said he would propose near the beginning so the trip would be a celebration, plus the last day means packing, which is always a chore and kind of sad. He would feel rushed then.
So, what are the pros to waiting until the end of the trip?

Completely agree with Travel_Nerd. Do not propose in front of family or actually in any crowded place. Also, making sure of the answer is probably a good idea.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Oct 23rd, 2022 at 05:47 PM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 05:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
Very curious as to why you would wait until the end.
I would much prefer the beginning and be engaged during the rest of the trip, also be able to celebrate the engagement with all of the family they will be seeing.
I asked DH (without telling him my feelings) trying to get him to be objective. He said he would propose near the beginning so the trip would be a celebration, plus the last day means packing, which is always a chore and kind of sad. He would feel rushed then.
So, what are the pros to waiting until the end?
What kind of vacation it will be if she does not accept?
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by nicolasgarreau8157 View Post
In Paris, I suggest you the Roseraie of the Jardins de Bagatelle... So atypic and romantic.
Certainly beautiful and romantic, but no roses will be blooming in December when the OP is there. The park is best Spring to Fall.
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 08:13 PM

dreyerrick, I just re-read your original post and you didn't mention Paris in your itinerary. So Venice is my vote. If you can stay in a hotel on the water that can call up a gondola for you,, that would be lovely. Anyone know such a hotel?

Last edited by TDudette; Oct 23rd, 2022 at 08:15 PM.
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 09:09 AM

As a Venice lover I'm all in favor of that location -- so many lovely and romantic spots. Paris would also be lovely!!

Having awkwardly witnessed a proposal in front of family, which felt like it should have been a private moment instead, agree about *not* doing that.
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 10:57 AM

There is some lovely countryside around Rothenburg, that you can go for a romantic walk, so you can look towards the town, and then go for some hot chocolate, or champagne afterwards. Remember it will be very cold there at that time of year.
Old Oct 25th, 2022, 01:40 PM

OP DR, one of my closest friends proposed to his fiancé in Paris, by hiding the ring under the pastry plate at some cafe in Le Marais.
Some inspired ideas above. Agreed: def not in front of family.
I am done. the gondola ride departing at midnight

PS my elderly father-in-law-to-be once blew my secret European-proposal plan by blurting it out without filter in front of family (he had dementia). *CDNyul, he was that same Beaconsfield commodore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -