Proper Dress at the opera

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I have learned anything being on this forum,is to pack light, it will make the trip go much easier.When Iam in this country and go to a concert Iwill wear a suit,and if I go to the opera Iwill wear a tux.May I also remark that the dress code in this country has dropped to a lowpoint,thats another day.My point is what should I pack for those special occasions.Should Iwear black.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 03:39 AM

What country are you speaking of?
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 04:30 AM

And, what time of year? Indoor or outdoor venue?

Local customs vary greatly, of course, but I can say that I rarely see men in tuxes anymore at the Metropolitan Opera unless it is a "special" occasion....opening night, the first night of a new production, a special benefit performance, New Year's Eve....

But, since this is the Europe forum, yes, Europeans in winter tend to dress more formally, but this is still a very general statement. Where, when, what sort of special occasion, etc. will get you better responses.

While Bayreuth is an exception, in general, nice casual dress is the rule at summer festivals and outdoor venues. If you have high end tickets/invitations to a special performance/reception/etc at one of these venues, you may dress up more, but for the general summer season tourists, that's just unnecessary.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Sorry friends, Iam sorry I realiezed when I was in my auto driving I did not give enough information. I am going to Italy and the dates are Sept 22 to October 14 2005.I am traveling from the north to south and have not firmed up any dates for concerts etc. Last night while surfing the web I found on slow travel a site that had tickets for concerts and operas some in Rome others in Ravello.I am getting the picture the outside venues are probably less formal than indoor venues Nightime shows are more formal than afternoon.right? Thanks intrepid Ihave seen many comments you have made.You are very good and insightful,many of your messages are really enjoyable to read. thank you.Eliztay thank you also you cleared this up,in fact with your help I would say its crystal clear thanks to you ,too.I am in such gratitude to all these seasoned travelers, beautiful job.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 03:08 PM

As a subscriber to the Met in NYC for thousands of years - I've seen a steady decline in dress. (Tho El Husband insists on wearing a v-e-s-t in the winter...sigh...)
In Italy the only place I was intimidated by the dress was La Scala. Very chic audience in the orchestra.

And as long as this thread might attract clothes horses.... could anyone tell me where I could find a sequined (or something equivalent) simple top to get me thru formal nites on a ship. Since we're traveling I don't want to haul along lots of dressy clothes and I figure a little flash on top will detract from my black skirt or trousers.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Grandma , thanks for your opinions,I can't understand the feelings of people. I was brought up in a family that eveyone dressed.My grandfather was a tailor from Italy, when Iwas little I would help in the shop. He must have been very good some very big names had suits made from him.If interested to know who just ask I have the letters from some people.My grandfather would walk on Broadway all decked out.All the Italian men when they came here would walk after work and gather on Broadway.[Some of my earliestMemories]. Well anyhow Iwas taught you dressed out of respect,whether to see family or a concert etc.Yesterday I was going into a Home-depot the guy about 30 yr. old.had jeans on with a belt ,he had blue shorts .The belt was tied tight under his butt. Sticking out .He rigged them for that effect.Your a Grandma and I am a Grandpa,Our little kids Ihope they will be safe. God Bless.