Reload this Page >

proper attire for italy

Search

proper attire for italy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 09:09 AM
laurie

proper attire for italy

i am going on a 14 day tour of italy. i have heard numerous differing answers as to what to wear. any advice?

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 09:30 AM
elvira

Definites: many religious sites do not allow shorts/short skirts/sleeveless blouses/tank tops. If you're wearing a tank top, keep a sleeved blouse tied around your waist or in your daypack for a quick cover up. Ditto if you're wearing shorts, have a 'skirt' ready to put over top (a sarong or wrap skirt works great). Comfortable shoes (2 pair) and extra socks. Something for the rain. Dark colors travel better (don't show dirt or wrinkles as badly as light colors); natural fibers are cooler in the heat, warmer in the cold. <BR>Final truism: once you've decided what you're taking, pack it your luggage, pick it up and climb a couple of flights of stairs, walk around the block and then hoist it over your head. Second to final truism: you'll unpack half the stuff.

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 10:42 AM
Patricia

Black, more black. It seems to be the country uniform

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 06:02 PM
Chris

I would avoid white sneakers--it screams American! Try to bring comfortable shoes that are 'dressier'. Most restaurants do not like to seat you if you are wearing jeans--go for khakis, etc.

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 06:47 PM
Tara

"Proper Attire" is the same as where you live. Casual for casual activities, athletic wear for athletic activities, dressy for dressy occasions and restaurants, respectful in churches.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 05:41 AM
howard

Chris, so what if it screams "American"? Is there something wrong with that? Besides, I got news for you: They're probably going to know you're American no matter what you wear! But, so what? <BR>

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 07:58 AM
Janice

Yes, there is a good reason not to scream tourist (not necessarily American) - if you don't look so conspicuously touristy, you don't get hassled as much by pickpockets, gypsies, cheesy pick-up guys and all other opportunists who target people who are obviously out of their native element.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 08:31 AM
bea

Hi: <BR> <BR>This is the best advise I can give you: Wear black, black, black......if you don't, you'll feel under dressed.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 09:25 AM
howard

Okay, Janice, I'll concede the point. However, I still think this "not wanting to look American" is overplayed and overstated. <BR>And yes, my wife and I usually did wear black in Italy (as we often do at home when we go out), not so much because we wanted to "fit in better," but because we like the way we look!

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 11:57 AM
terri

Sorry, I won't concede the point to Janice. When you are standing in line for the Vatican (or whatever spot you pick), have a map or guide book in your hand, etc., no matter how much black you wear, you look like what you are - a tourist. <BR> <BR>I would like to thank Elvira for posting advice based on comfort, church rules and practical experience. i am so tired of this judgemental, "don't look like an american" garbage.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 12:23 PM
KT

Every time this topic comes up, I wish I could post the photos I have of of my Italian buddies Massimo, Paolo, Paola, Isabella, etc., wearing jeans, sneakers, and (gasp) colors other than black. And no, they are not teenagers. I always refrain from commenting, but this time I decided not to....

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 12:24 PM
Sandi

Not sure of the month you're going, but layering is the answer. Even in November we encountered warm T-shirt type days but the evenings were cool. It may rain also so have a light rain jacket handy. We wore jeans and cords and things that didn't wrinkle too much. Enjoy!!