Reload this Page >

How to make Hotel Reservations in Italy and France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 04:56 PM
Rachel

I am going to Europe for the first time in April, and am just starting to realize how hard it is to pin down a reservation at smaller hotels. Could someone explain the process to me? <BR>Do you: 1.) Send a query fax <BR> 2.) Wait to hear from the Hotel <BR> 3.) Send Credit Card information <BR> 4.) Wait for Confirmation <BR>What about calling? How persistent do you have to be at high demand Hotels? Do Americans just expect things to move faster? <BR> <BR>Thanks for any advice-

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 06:27 PM
Ed

We usually send a fax. You'd want a hard copy confirmation anyway. <BR> <BR>If you phone, calling during Europe's business hours will more often than not find an English-speaking person on duty. <BR> <BR>Replies are often a bit slow. And, many popular and smaller hotel won't spend the money to send a return fax saying they're sold out. So if you've waited a day or two and perhaps sent a second fax to a hotel you'd really like to get into, give them a call. <BR> <BR>And, yes, I suppose we Americans seem a bit impatient at times. <BR> <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 08:25 PM
Rex

Rachel, <BR> <BR>I have found the service of www.italyhotel.com to be reliable, accurate and dependable. It doesn't have every hotel in Italy, but it has not failed me through dozens of inquiries, reservations and cancellations (perhaps the most important test of a web-based service). <BR> <BR>It's not perfect on inquiires only - - I have NOT gotten an answer on its free "send-a-fax" service about one-third of the time. <BR> <BR>For France, I can also report good experience with www.logis-de-france.fr <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 06:06 AM
Richard

Rachel, The Best Western group has a number of hotels in Europe and you can book and confirm at their 800 #. Go to www.bestwestern.com for more info. At one time their US motels were kind of sleazy, but the one's in Europe have always been fine.

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 09:15 AM
elvira

With smaller hotels, I fax a req first (dates, facilities required; I include "will furnish credit card # to secure reservation") with my fax #, home address and phone numbers. The hotel usually faxes me back within a day with availability; I fax back with "I accept" and a CC#...I RARELY GET A FAX BACK ACKNOWLEDGING MY RESERVATION (sometimes, but not often; I have better luck getting an e mail). <BR> <BR>About a week before I need the room, I fax, email or call just to reconfirm. So far, no problems (watch, that's the kiss of death and I'll end up sleeping a park bench next trip)

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 12:03 PM
Jolene

Be certain that you have some sort of "hard copy" of your confirmation. I had reserved rooms at a small hotel in the Alsace region of France for my husband and his parents last August. I not only corresponded with this hotel via e-mail but also by telephone. I offered to give my credit card number to hold the rooms but they declined to take it, saying "Just call if you are not going to stay with us." Well...you guessed it, we got lost, got caught in a rain storm, had construction delays and were not able to get through to the hotel by phone and they gave up our rooms when we didn't show by 6:00 p.m. To make matters worse, all rooms within a 200 km radius were sold out because of the final solar eclipse of the century! Surprisingly enough, my husband and in-laws are still talking to me! I'll never go without a written confirmation AND a credit card guarantee.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 06:04 AM
Rachel

Thanks to everyone! <BR> <BR>You have no idea how helpful this is for a first timer. <BR> <BR>Rachel

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 12:22 PM
Rex

Rachel, <BR> <BR>Your follow-up posting makes it all worthwhile. <BR> <BR>I suppose I ought to start a new thread for this but... <BR> <BR>You know, you can only be a virgin once, and you can only be a first-timer once - - yet, unlike with sex, it's totally cool for a veteran to "be there" (in spirit, in cyberspace, or even in person) with a first-time traveler overseas. <BR> <BR>Seeing Europe through the eyes of others (and they don't have to be first-timers, but that's the neatest of all) is the thrill on which every veteran Euro-phile can get addicted. <BR> <BR>Call it an unsatiable appetite for external gratification, if you will, but whether through this board, actual trips or whatever, it's a great travel high to share experiences and watch someone light up with awe and gratitude for having had a path cleared for them. <BR> <BR>Probably way too philosophical for a Friday afternoon (with the NASDAQ down 152!) but hey, it's where I am right now... <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 12:42 PM
Richard

Rex, Au contraire (I know that's French and this an Italian anecdote), as a 17 year old sailor in Naples I met many hustlers whose mothers were virgins.