Pronounce 'Languedoc' phonetically

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Richard

Pronounce 'Languedoc' phonetically

Thanks

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 12:55 PM
elvira

long dhawk This last part is clipped; hold your tongue sort of on the roof of your mouth and almost 'click' the syllable. The "awk" part is also not said with as closed lips as English "hawk" kind of in between hock and hawk

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 01:07 PM
Sheila

Not, of course, disagreeing with Elvira, but perhaps using different phonetics, I would have said<BR><BR>Long-i-dock

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 02:00 PM
SharonM

And what/where is this long-i-dock? <BR>(now that I know how to pronounce it)

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 02:10 PM
Polly Glatt

Language of southern France <BR> <BR>See VERY interesting thread re minorized languages

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 02:36 PM
Rick

Huh? It's a language, too? The only Languedoc I know is the area in southern France that produces some tasty and increasingly popular wines. My very French wine merchant prounounces it pretty much exactly as Elvira described.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 02:42 PM
Polly Glatt

langue d'oc = the language <BR> <BR>Languedoc = the region just to the west of Provence (where they speak or spoke a variety of langue d'oc). <BR> <BR>(I felt like reviving the "minorized languages" thread in case you're wondering.)

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 03:30 PM
SharonM

Thanks Polly! <BR> <BR>I missed that on the minorized language thread, I guess. It IS a good one! (I see you've brought it back to the top...Good idea!) <BR> <BR>I imagine I would've taken it all to a different, less intelligent level... Thanks for keeping me honest.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 08:52 PM
Sue

Oc meaning yes. Langue d'oc (in the south) as opposed to the langue d'oïl (in the center and north). Get it?

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 04:09 AM
harzer

You must pronounce the 'g' in Languedoc as you would in the word 'guess'. <BR> <BR>I don't think Americans can pronounce the vowel sound in 'doc'. To me they seem to turn it into 'dahk', which is wrong. <BR> <BR>The main accent falls on the last syllable, as in nearly all polysyllabic French words.