Private tourguide in Naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be on the AC 10/1 - 10/8 and will be in Naples 1 (possibly 2) days. We want to see Pompeii, Herculaneum, Arch. Museum and 1 other museum (the carved, veiled Christ, I can't remember the name) I am not a museum junkie so they would be quickish trips. We also want to wander the city and eat some pizza. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a private guide? Thanks for all the help!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mentiion, we will have our own car and plan on driving somewhere (not sure where) to the outskirts of Naples and getting the guide to pick us up there.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Come on guys - we need some info!
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Can't help with Naples but where are you staying in the A/C?

If it's Sorrento there is a train to both Pompeii and Herculaneum and you can hire a guide or join a tour when you get there.

Train leaves Sorrento every 30 mins and takes about 30 mins to Pompeii, Herculaneum a little longer.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 09:09 AM

We used the services of Vatican Tours and Beyond (Rome). The tours of Pompeii and the Naples Arc. Museum were great. The only regret I had was the Pompeii tour was only about 3 hours and (if you love history) all day would have been better. The two guides were excellent making our trip a true art/history lesson.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 01:47 AM

It is helpful to note that "private guides" (if you mean someone who will show you around the city, and take you to the various sites, cannot by law also go into Pompeii, Herculaneum, etc, and give tours. In Italy, this requires a special license. For that, you need to join a tour at the site, or else have the "private guide" arrange for a separate licensed guides at these sites. Be careful to check the rates beforehand, to be sure you're being offered a fair rate by the guide making the "arrangement".

There are many threads already here for the AC, and private guides/drivers, so you can easily bring up that information.

If you are going to be on the AC, it's MUCH easier to leave your car there meet your driver for a day trip to Naples with Pompeii and/or Herculaneum on the way. Or, if you find a driver in Naples, take the ferry to Naples from Sorrento to be picked up on the other side.

BTW, Getting to these sites using Public Transportation, is quite doable and way less expensive. For Pompeii and Herculaneum, you can join tours at the gate. (Though I can't imagine Pompeii as a "quickish trip"!) The only place a driver was an absolute necessity was at Oplontis, which was incredible, but located in a very dicey neighborhood.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Your hotel can set you up with whatever you want.

We had them find a city tour for us. There were only six of us on the tour. We also had them set up the Pompeii tour. I am sure they can set up Herculaneum as well, but perhaps you are pushing it to try to do Pompeii, Herculaneum, Arch Museum and another in one day (?) Even with a private guide. And also "wander the city". Whew. Do think about 2 days, not 1.

As for pizza, be sure to eat the classic Margharita variety. Tomato, mozarella and basil, nothing more, by decree.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 04:47 PM

If you're planning in using and driving a car in Naples even if it's to go outside of the city... GOOD LUCK and PRAY!
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Try www.contextnaples.com. I have Marialaura and recommend her highly.She did a Pompeii tour for us,then took us through the National Arch. Museum and gave us a walking tour of the Old City.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 05:28 PM

make that I have used Marialaura. FYI,she is an art historian.