Reload this Page >

private tour guides for Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 05:34 AM
carol

We are a family of four (includes children 11 and 14 yrs). <BR> <BR>After much thought and reading, I've emailed our hotels in Rome, Florence and Venice to request arrangements be made for private tour guide (one day only)in each city. <BR> <BR>My only response (so far)was from the Inter-continental in Rome. The conceirge is most happy to help. The cost will be 10.000 lire, or approx $50 US per hour (fees, taxi, etc. not included, of course). I'd like to know if this is a typical fee. <BR> <BR>I will be more than happy to pay for the experience of wandering about with a know-it-all! I'm just checkin' in with the travel "know-it-alls". Suggestion and opinions are most welcome. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Carol

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 06:11 AM
sandy

the going rate for a 4-hour private walking tour of Venice for 4 persons is about US$300-400, including entrance fees. It's about the same for a half-day tour in Rome, less in Florence. A full day tour in Rome wil be twice that. You can probably do some research on the Internet and get tours for less, but it's chancy. I would get your TA or the concierge at your hotel to book it for you. Keep inn mind, the rates do not include tips to the guide and driver.

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 06:22 AM
carol

Thank you Sandy! <BR> <BR>I am really glad for the cost info - it will be very helpful. I think I will continue to work through the concierge, as you have suggested. <BR> <BR>But, can you tell me if this is a good idea? It sounds like it could be a wonderful experience to see the sights with a person who truly loves the city and its treasures (I ask lots of questions - so do the kids) Or....it could be a disaster! <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help! <BR>Carol

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Steve James

Hello Carol, <BR> <BR>For some ideas on tours in Rome to compare, have a look at:- <BR>www.enjoyrome.com <BR>www.romeinsight.com <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Steve James

Oops - I posted that before I finished. <BR>For loads of great info on Rome have a look at Ed & Julie's site:- <BR>www.twenj.com <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 07:06 AM
TinaSteel

Try Vatican Tours. They have some wonderful private guides in Rome and Florence for around $200 for half day (including transport). Friends of mine used them (ask for Peter) and they had a fantastic time. I hope to use them in March next year for private historical walks. <BR>Website, www.visitvatican.net

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Andy

Carol- email Andrea at: [email protected]- he does limsoservice in Roma and also has tour guides to do specific touring---tell him how many people you are and what you are looking for--he is most competitive and his drivers speak English--you are driiven in an A/C mercedes station wagon===good luck

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 12:42 PM
bob

Hi Carol, <BR>when I've needed a guide in Italy I've asked to catherina at [email protected] <BR>It has been simpler than all my attemps <BR>with hotels or websites. <BR>Good luck

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 12:52 PM
carol

Thanks one and all! I have begun to surf based on your suggestions - wonderful! <BR> <BR>I sense a difference in your opinions, though you were all kind enough to give me practical sources. How do you feel about one on one tour guides? Now that I have info, I'm just curious. <BR> <BR>Many Thanks! <BR>Carol

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 02:03 PM
eileen

I have used an excellent company in Italy for a group of mine in August. <BR>They raved about it, prices good, too! <BR> <BR>Email me for further info. <BR> <BR>[email protected]

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 03:31 PM
banker

little problem with the math??? 10,000lire is approx$5 not $50

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 01:10 AM
Steve James

Hello again Carol, <BR> <BR>Well seeing as you asked, I have to say that generally I much prefer to get a city map, read up on the sights I plan to visit, and do my sightseeing independantly ... and at my own speed. <BR>For Rome, for example, I find a daily (6.000 LIRE) or weekly (24.000 LIRE) travel pass a better investment than a private guided tour. Just my personal opinion... <BR> <BR>Steve <BR>Steve

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 05:21 AM
carol

To Steve - thank you, thank you for your opinion! <BR> <BR>I have read enough to confuse myself. My research tells me I am not alone! The kids and husband have done very little in the way of studying the books, maps and notes (something about lessons, school, and running a busines). Well, the kids will attempt to speak Italian, if cued! <BR> <BR> Anyway, I think I'm going to do a little of both (solo and assisted sight-seeing). I'm looking forward to seeing the sights as I have planned and imagined, enjoying just being there. I'd also like to take a break from explaining and planning for un momento (I'm workin' on the Italian), at which time, I'd prefer that someone else do the explaining and planning (moms can get awfully cranky). Besides, while the troops are getting a good education from someone who REALLY knows, I can mentally wonder/wander about! <BR> <BR>To conclude: I will hire a private tour guide to save my sanity- when needed! <BR> <BR>You've all been great! Thanks! <BR> <BR>Carol

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 01:46 PM
kathy

Just returned from a week each in Rome and Venice. I booked the following guides: <BR> <BR>Rome: <BR> <BR>www.scalareale.org <BR> <BR>Venice: <BR> <BR>www.venicescapes.org <BR> <BR>Both of these companies are "cultural organizations", not tour companies. They don't allow more than 6 people on a tour. I would suggest a private tour just for your family, so that they can tailor it to your and your children's interests. EMail me if you need more information. <BR> <BR>Kathy