Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'm SO GLAD we went to Europe in June, cause I'd never go there now!

Sep 24th, 2001, 08:29 PM
Margaret

Last winter when we were planning our trip to Italy we had to choose between going in June or October. I wanted to go in October as there would be less crowds and lower costs but my husband had so business dealings coming up in the Fall that he thought might be troublesome, so we went in June. I am SO GLAD we did as in my opinion and in the opinion of everyone we know locally and in our family, this is not a safe time to travel at all and it will remain that way for months if not longer.
I pray that everyone who posts here that is planning a trip that leaves in the next few weeks will be okay and return home safely. You are braver souls than I am to go forth with this type of plan. Good luck and God speed.

Sep 24th, 2001, 08:41 PM
Lauren

I can understand what you said.

I went in August and feel blessed to have done so before the terrorist attack. The last place I would have wanted to be when the attack occurred would be out of the country because it was a time to be among family and friends in the US.

As the intense period of grieving eases, people will begin to travel and even fly again because we cannot put our lives on hold forever.

Sep 25th, 2001, 12:19 AM
simone

Thank you for your good wishes, but I'm afraid I don't understand your post. If you are grieving for loved ones or have lost your home or office due to the 9-11 events, I can certainly understand your desire to cancel your trip - but I don't see what that has to do with it being generally unsafe to travel. I don't mean to put you on the spot, but ... since you DID post this here as a new topic ... WHY, specifically, do you feel it's unsafe to travel to Europe just now?

Sep 25th, 2001, 01:53 AM
sylvia

Yes, I'm puzzled too. Ironically, it may be even safer now. Security is very tight all over Europe and in any case because we are used to terrorists it has always been tighter than it was in the US.

Sep 25th, 2001, 04:52 AM
Tony Hughes

What a strange posting; the terrorists targeted USA and not Europe on Sep 11th so you think this makes travelling to Europe by plane extremely risky?

Maybe it's best you do stay at home, Mags.

Sep 25th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Liz

Was there a reason for your post? I mean really - you want to brag for going in June and make everyone else nervous going now? What was your compulsion to post such negativity? Well Goody for you for going in June - I go every year at different times and I am leaving Friday again.

Sep 25th, 2001, 06:49 AM
BSBS

What the heck type of post is this? Negative, with a sugar coating. If you play "Margaret's" game you are playing the terrorists' game. Margaret is playing on the fears of others, trying to further paralyze the travel industry. Yes, there will be a grieving period, but we must get on with business/life as usual, or the terrorists have won (at least a part of their battle). Margaret: stay home AND off of your computer.

Sep 25th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Bob Brown

I was in western Austria, near Innsbruck when the hoodlums hijacked the airliners and smashed them into the Pentagon and the World Trade Center. I watched CNN in horror as the video tapes were played and replayed.

For the next several days, we could not have gotten home had we wanted to. Therefore we went on with our trip as scheduled. At no time while I was in Austria or Germany did I feel unsafe.

When we got to the Munich airport to fly home, security was very tight. The Germans meant business and it showed in all of their actions. There was an air of professionalism about German security measures that engendered a feeling of confidence.

In contrast, security in Philadelphia and Charlotte later that same day seemed to be business as usual -- the same business as usual that let four airplanes be hijacked in a skillfully coordinated maneuver.

As a result, I don't feel safe flying in the USA because, as the British magazine The Economist so well put it, airport security in the USA, with curb side check-in and poorly trained security agents, has been a fools' paradise.

Perhaps in time increased alertness at our airports will result in more effective security procedures, but right now I doubt very much if we have the trained personel to be any more effective today than they were on September 11, 2001. Time will tell.

As for people being scared to fly, why do they think the next bin Laden tactic will be to hijack an airplane and turn it into a missile? Why not blast an office building, or a stadium full of people?

There is no more densely concentrated area of people anywhere than in a full football stadium. By striking there, a terrorist group could indeed get more bang for the buck.

If you are afraid to fly because you fear a hijacking, then my recommendation is to avoid also all football and baseball games for the next few years!! But somehow, I don't think that Florida and Tennessee football fans are going to fail to show up when that game is played. I wonder how many of these same people would refuse to get on an airplane??

Several reactions in other postings have taken others to task for commenting about plans to cancel this and not do that. In effect, these rebukes stated that "You cannot analyze another person's feelings. So back off."
I think that is just the point. If we react with uncontrolled fear and irrationality, there is no way that we can think clearly enough to mount an effective counter offensive against a murderous threat. We as Americans must face the fact that we will be the targets of fanatical assaults in our homeland for the next few years. If we spend that time irrationally quaking in our shoes, we will help to carry out one of the goals of the terrorists -- which is to scare the you know what out of us. Arousing irrational fear through cunningly devious methods is a proven system of power.

Sep 25th, 2001, 10:19 AM
D.J.

What an ignorant and groundless post.How is June safer than October? I suppose Sept 10 was a safe date to travel or Sept11 anytime before 8:00a.m. Anyone who thinks that travel is less safe now makes no sense.Anytime you would travel you would be taking an equal chance of hijacking or terrorism because NOONE KNOWS WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.If we could predict a terrorist attack then the public would be informed and nonone would put themselves at risk that day-again leaving everyone with an equal chance of being a victim of terrorism.

Sep 25th, 2001, 12:20 PM
dan woodlief

That's about exactly the way I see it D.J. It is the nature of the beast to do things we don't expect. Now that intelligence, police, and military forces around the world are on alert and rounding up people for the least suspicion, you would think it is safer in many ways. No matter what the U.S. and its allies can accomplish against terrorism, the threat will always be there, and its just a waste of one's life to live in fear of things that will likely never happen to you. I do keep wondering in the back of my mind though if terrorists might do something similar to say "you see, we can still get to you." I just hope I am wrong; I at least believe that now it would be harder to pull off.

Sep 25th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Old Fashioned

I'd go tomorrow if I had the time and the money. I just got back from France last Sunday after thirty hours of flying and delays, and I'd go again tomorrow.

For all of you Americans that want to stay here because it's so safe.

Consdider this...I felt safer walking the streets of Avignon at night than I did walking in downtown Atlanta...day or night!

Same goes for Paris or Munich, or.....

OF

Sep 25th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Get a grip

My mother who lived in London during the Blitz and the missile attacks would be floored by the attitude of so many Americans. Get a grip! Yes the world isn't safe any more; most of us have known that for years.

By the way, how many Irish--Catholic and Protestant--have died over the last 50 years? The only difference between the bastards (on both sides) that killed them and the terrorists is that they did it one or a dozen at a time, and they looked into their eyes and the eyes of their wives and husbands and children as they did it.

Sep 25th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Adam

You people live in a dream world. You must not be reading the news people to think that the reality isn't that Bush & Co is going to attack with massive bombing and attacks in Afganistan and other countries SOON. I mean this week probably. And once he starts bombing and killing people in Afganistan and then Iraq you think the "terrorists" will just sit on their hands and watch??? Forget that...they will attack but not the soldiers. They will go for civilans and I bet it will be in Europe this time. And no one said it would be airplanes. It probably won't be airplanes but it will be massive and it will be soon and it will be in Europe with many victims. Why anyone would willingly walk into this is a mystery but then some people chose to work in mines. Live in a dream people...maybe you'll come out the other side.

Sep 25th, 2001, 07:19 PM
dan woodlief

Adam, I am not saying you are completely wrong, but Europe is a big place.

Sep 25th, 2001, 07:27 PM
em

"it will be massive and it will be soon and it will be in Europe with many victims..."

Adam, if you truly have this type of information, please contact the FBI rather than posting it here. If you don't, then, with all due respect, please silence your mental 12-year-old - in other words, shut up.

Sep 25th, 2001, 07:40 PM
comma

Lorabid or Adam sounds slightly physcotic- why don't you go post on yahoo with all the other loonies ( no offence to elvira's loonies) . either that or go build your bomb shelter and stockpile your water and tuna.

The threat is here but it always has been , we have just ignored it before .Now that we are under attack, we will take whatever defensive measures we need to and hope they work. Or else we will learn to live with it like the rest of the world has done and continues to do.

Sep 25th, 2001, 07:50 PM
JD

I recall my experiences living in France in the late 80's and early 90's. At the time, France was experiencing terrorist bombings. Special police with automatic weapons were obvious on the street. Raids were not infrequent. But life went on as normal and one genuinely had the feeling that the authorities were taking appropriate and effective action. The bombings have stopped due to many factors, some political, but because of the no-nonsense approach of the government.
I compare that to the flights I just completed on 21 and 24 September here on the East Coast of the US. The same old granny ladies were operating the security checks (one had to be 75 years old). Same story at Dulles and Albany. We haven't gotten the message even after the horrendous terrorism we've just experienced, and in spite of knowing that there are terrorists out there checking out crop-spraying aircraft. It may be too much to expect the airports to obtain effective security right away, but we do have a military. This is about saving lives, not suppressing individual freedom. I think we're making a big mistake and have not yet gotten the message. As to the original posting, I'd feel safer in France!

Sep 25th, 2001, 08:24 PM
haveadrink

You've gotta be nuts if you're not stockpiling water right now.

Sep 26th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Liz

Forget about water - stoli o

Sep 26th, 2001, 09:59 AM
Susan

Stoli: disinfectant, analgesic and truth serum all in one. Essential in time of war. Plus mixed with orange juice makes a nutritional breakfast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO