Reload this Page >

Private guide needed in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 09:27 PM
Susan Smiley

My husband and I are planning our 20th anniversary trip in July. We have 2 days in Rome, a Med. cruise on Raddisson, and 3 days in Barcelona. Our friends (and travel agent) are emphatic about a private guide in Rome and Barcelona.Do you all agree? Would also love some hotel and restaurant suggestions for both cities. Thanks so much.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 08:12 AM
the turnip

In my humble opinion the dollars we spent on tour guides in Rome were without a doubt, worth every penny. I did quite a bit of research and reading about the sites we would be visiting but still found the guides to be very <BR>informative and entertaining. Especially so with the coluseum and the forum. <BR> <BR>We stumbled across an excellent guide by the name of Jasper who was both very knowledgeable and reasonably priced. I hung onto his e-mail it's - [email protected] <BR> <BR>I'd suggest droppping him a line and let him know what you want to see and I'm sure he'll do his best to help you out. And no I'm not affiliated with him in anyway. We were just really impressed with his tour and got to talking with him. Have a great time in Rome! <BR> <BR>Cheers, the turnip <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 08:40 AM
Ed

I strongly feel folks have no need for a guide in Rome if they invest a bit of time beforehand. Some suggestions at www.twenj.com/romesightsselftour.htm The biggest advantage of 'do-it-yourself' (with proper homework) is that you'll remember it. <BR> <BR>If you'd still like a guide in Rome I'd suggest considering Mayta Munson, a fully-licensed guide, and one of the very few such Americans in Rome. See her site at www.eternaltourist.com <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 12:25 PM
Carey

try <BR>www.scalareale.com <BR> <BR>Tom Rankin has some good private, and semi-private tours! We took one to Tivoli which was fun and informative! <BR> <BR>Carey

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 12:56 PM
wendy

There are tour guides that congregate at the Coloseum and forum and give free tours. If you feel you still need a guide, you can hire them - that's why they hang out there, for advertising. I loved the tour of the Forum, it was about 1.5 hours and the guide was an enthusiastic Canadian actor who gave a few excerpts of Caesar's speeches. The guides also hang out inside the Coloseum to give you a free tour, lasting about an hour.