Reload this Page >

Festivals, etc. in Ireland this fall

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 08:32 AM
ann

I realize these are still quite some time off, but does anyone know where I might find the dates that these events are being held this year: All Ireland Football Finals, Dublin Theatre Festival, Cork International Film Festival, and Cork Jazz Festival. We're thinking about going to Ireland in September or October, and I would just as soon avoid visiting these cities when there's something big going on. Thanks!

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Cathy

Ann, <BR>The Football andf Hurling Finals take place in Dublin on the first and third weekends in Sept - just on the Sunday and doesn't cause a major problem to visitors to Dublin as it is all over in one day and is focused on Crokle Park in the area of Driumcondra - however it may be difficult to find a B&B for the Saturday night and impossible to get into a pub near the stadium otherwise the atmosphere is great in the city. This coming year as there are 5 Sundays in Sept it may be on the 2nd and 4th Sundays in Sept. Check with the Gaelic Athletic Association at www.gaa.ie. <BR> <BR>Re dates for other festivals the Irish Tourist Board Failte seem to carry a list on their web site so it may be better to check with them as opposed to checking with each festival individually they have a swection on their web site at www.ireland.travel.ie. <BR> <BR>The only place I would avoid is Galway during Racing week in the summer months - impossible to get a bed for the night and the city is jammed. <BR> <BR>Keep an eye on Ireland.com - the irish Times web site as they do a feature each year on the festivals. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 05:12 AM
Annie

Hi Ann: <BR>I disagree with Cathy on Galway during Racing Week. I was able to secure a room, with no problem 3 weeks before leaving. It was a wonderful adventure and what a lovely place!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Cathy

Annie, <BR>Lucky you - I won't like to try and get a B&B in Galway in Race Week as it is the busiest week in the year of the city and region, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 01:43 PM
ann

Thank you for the advice! (And Cathy, thank you for all the advice you've given others - I've been busily taking notes from a lot of earlier postings.) I've been getting error messages from the Tourist Board's web site, but I'll keep trying!