Reload this Page >

Laptops in Italy

Search

Laptops in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 11:54 PM
gus

Laptops in Italy

I’m leaving to Italy (Florence) in two days for a couple of weeks. I’m taking my laptop as I need to access my email and other things in my office back home (San Francisco). Internet Cafes don’t work for me, as I need to access my email and not some public email service. As a last resort, I just got a Sprint “Earthlink” account just so I could log in directly by dialing their [non toll free] number in Milan. Does anyone have experience with this? Is there some Internet café that would allow you to connect your own laptop to their network? How “expensive” would be a phone call from Florence to Milan (using a normal, residential phone line)? Are there other services (other than Sprint’s) that offer a toll free number? <BR> <BR>Thanks a bunch… this forum is great. I wish I had found it weeks ago and not two days before I’m leaving! <BR> <BR>gus <BR>

Old Dec 26th, 2000, 11:44 AM
been_there

Gus, <BR> <BR>Leave it at home. I just went to Florence and decided against taking my notebook (I work for the most prestigious notebook manufacture in the World). My hotel, now only a 2 star did not have a dataport like US hotels. Put you email on "out of office", write a note in this reply that says "emergencies" should "be sent to my voice mail.". Get a back-up at the office and call into voice 2 times a week. I struggled with this one and found that the world did not go under without me checking my email. Let your back-up work the issues or let them ride. Again, I word with a Fortune 10 company and I know how it feels. First, you do not want to lug a notebook (even if it is a TP X20 or a TP570)/(lightest in the world). If it lost, you are responsible. If you are going with a wife or other love one, it will be less cause of an arguement. Gus, my friend, I hate to tell you, but again, the world will survive and guess what, you will be a better person for it.

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 08:13 AM
frank

You can pick up your mail from POP servers (eg your ISP) by setting it up on hotmail (or most others)Most office mail programs allow auto-forwarding. <BR>OR: <BR>The way to get short term tollfree access in Europe is to get a free trial disk (from AOL or others-net magazines) - this dials an 0800 number in europe. <BR>Your problem is getting someone to allow you to plug into their socket!(you will need an adaptor appropriate to the country-buy it there) <BR>What about via a mobile phone?Download is slow but OK. <BR>Be careful you don't get followed out of the airport!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Ken Slanker

Took mine with me to Rome, Florence, Naples. Got Italian phone number for AOL before I left. They use RJ11 adapters in Hotel. Got number, dialed out, got on!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 02:21 PM
kk

Dear been_there....good for you! <BR>Sound advice.