Private guide in Vienna

Apr 17th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Private guide in Vienna

We're looking for a private guide in Vienna. We will be in Vienna June 27-July 4th...would like guide for 1, possibly 2 days. Appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks, Judi
Apr 24th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi...anyone out there have any information on private guides for Vienna?

Thanks....Judi
Apr 25th, 2010, 08:57 AM

The Vienna Tourist Office website has a list of guides , tours.
Look under sightseeing.
www.wien.info
Apr 25th, 2010, 09:42 AM

We were there several years ago. www.viennasightseeingtours.com We had booked a walking tour with this group well in advance of our arrival. The guide who met us at our hotel, was a very pleasant young man with a van, who spoke almost no English, and what he did say was incomprehensible. After less than an hour of our scheduled tour, we politely sent him on his way—we were working way too hard to understand him and help him with words. After we returned home and wrote to them, the company refunded our money, they apologized, and said that at the last-minute their two best guides had not been available so they had had to send a substitute. They did the right thing in trying to correct their mistake, and for that reason I'd try them again, emphasizing that I'd expect a guide with English fluency.
Apr 25th, 2010, 11:27 PM

To avoid such an experience as that above - look on the tourist office website listed above,

Vienna has a strict training and testing system to become a certified guide. These guides are readily recognized as they wear a metal red/white emblem to show their status. Look for their designation as " certified guide " or wording dimilar to avoid potential problems
Apr 26th, 2010, 05:22 AM

we had first been in touch with the tour agency via the tourist office website listings.
I think tour guides are often a matter of luck, even with credentials, and sometimes it even boils down to personal rapport. I would not dis the agency we used, because they tried to make good on their error. Which is not to say that one shouldn't look for another agency.
Apr 30th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Do you think a private guide is necessary in Vienna? THis is our first trip to Vienna. We will be there 5 days. I am thinking of doing a 1 day trip to Budapest...interested in some suggestions.

THanks. Judi
May 1st, 2010, 05:31 PM

Since we dispensed with our Vienna guide pretty quickly, I'll say that a private guide isn't necessary. Most of Vienna's primary and secondary sights are within a reasonable walk or a short tram ride. The only place that seemed out of the way was Schonbrunn Palace, and we just took a taxi.
May 1st, 2010, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

So I'm getting the sense that we'll be wasting our money if we hire a private guide for Vienna. Even though we don't like large groups so we have usually hired private guides during many of our travels.

Looks like most of the sights we can do on our own...do you suggest purchasing tickets in advance to any of the popular sights?

As always, thanks for everyones input. Judi
May 2nd, 2010, 01:32 AM

As mentioned , Vienna is easily done on your own. Many of the most popular tourist sights are located within walking distance of each other in the city center.
Using the Hofburg Palace as an example, you are 5 minutes walking distance from the Spanish Riding School, Royal Treasury , Augustiner Church, Hofburg Kapelle ( vienna boys choir on Sunday ) The Albertina, Kunsthistorishes Museum / Fine Art, the Museum Quarter, Burggarten and Volksgarten.
In addition the immediate area has many antique shops art galleries , restaurants and shopping.

The following website gives much info and tourist tips

www.wien.info

in english also.

The only place for advance purchase is the most popular attrraction in Vienna .
Schonbrunn Palace - this would avoid a wait in line and save you time

www.schoenbrunn.at

Schonbrunn is easily reached using the UBahn line U-4 in a few minutes from the city center.

Using the Heitzing stop just one stop past the Shonbrunn stop to exit rather than the one most use ( Schonbrunn ) allows you to walk through the most beautiful portions of the park/garden area to the Palace.

You can get an audio guide for a self guided tour at your own pace too.

Another easy way to reach the Palace with less walking is to take the UBahn line U-3 to the Westbahnhof and then streetcar#58 directly to the front entrance to Schonbrunn.

Just one caution on of the larger rooms of the Palace- The Gallery is now being renovated but the other rooms certainly worth the visit .
The gardens in summer great for you also.

If you happen to be in the city on a Thursday - look to visit the Kunsthistorishes Museum in that evening. Many do not realize it is open then- many fewer people to allow a much better time to view the collection.
May 2nd, 2010, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Ok, so now I know about the tourist attractions. As we will be in Vienna for 5 days any suggestions for things to do once we do the "tourist " stuff!!! Must see's and do's.

Thanks. judi