private guide for Iraklion, crete

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a private guide for Iraklion, Heraklion),Crete. Can anyone help with suggestions. we are arriving by cruise ship.
Old May 28th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

help please!
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:26 AM

Sorry I can't give you any recommendations, but a Google search for "private guide crete" (without the quotes) showed several possibilities, eg http://www.greecetravel.com/cruise/m...ours/crete.htm.

Suggest you check with a travel agent when you arrive at the port if your internet search proves fruitless.
Old May 29th, 2006, 03:11 AM

there are guide for hire outside most attractions in Creet for hire many are english speaking and offical guides .
Old May 29th, 2006, 03:38 AM

As stated above, there are trained, professional guides available for group tours at either the Palace of Knossos or the archaeological museum. At Knossos the rate was 10 EU pp. I suppose you could pay more to get a private tour.

Our guide happened to be a woman by the name of Evagelia Moudatsou, and she was one of the best tour guides we've ever had anywhere. She was very knowledgable, pleasant, and able to adjust her lectures for the various ages and interests in our group. She also spoke wonderful English. Perhaps you can locate her on the internet.

Good Luck with your search.
Old May 29th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

I had sent an email to Greecetravel a couple of days ago, and never received an answer. I am trying to see if I can locate Evagelia Moudatsou. Any other thoughts?
I want to have a guide from the port- don't want to just hire someone from the port, since we are only there for 6 hours. Any other ideas- please!!
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:35 AM

Only 6 hours? Then not staying at a hotel I guess, which is where I would book a guide. For insance, where were at the downtown Astoria was walking distance to harbor and wonderful museum. But of course the place to see is Knossis 15 min. west. Be aware, they close early.

ozarksbill
Old May 29th, 2006, 10:34 AM

whenzuc, I wouldn't give up on a reply from the gentleman in the Greecetravel website just yet. Two days would probably be some kind of record, IMO.

You have obviously already considered the other alternatives - ship's tour, etc. The only other thing I can think of is to call the Iraklion EOT (national tourism) office in hopes they can help. You can find their number on http://www.gnto.gr/pages.php?pageID=81&langID=2.

Good luck finding your guide.