private driver for 1 day Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're debating hiring a private driver for a drive from Florence to Sienna (a quick stop at Tower of Pisa for the kids, lunch and a stroll in San Gimignano, and the late afternoon and spending night in Sienna. Our reasons being since we only have the day, we don't want to "waste" time with the risk of getting lost, and we're taking train to points southward after Sienna. Are private drivers commonly used? Are they exorbitant to hire? Are we just being wimps and should take a plunge with a rental car? Thanks in advance to all suggestions!
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:29 PM

I'd get the rental car. I found Tuscany very easy to navigate. The signs are really pretty logical once you get used to them. Have a nice map on hand, as well (such as the Touring Club version you can find at B&N).

As far as your route goes, Pisa is kind of out of the way (and overrated, at that). Good luck! -- h.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:54 PM

You'll probably find a private driver cheaper than a one day rental. I can highly recommend Luca Garapa of Hillsandroads.com. We hired him last summer for the exact same reasons that you posted about-- didn't feel like getting lost on unmarked roads, and also wanted to taste wine without worrying about how to get back to our hotel. Luca is based in Siena, and knows the entire Chianti area very well. We had a wonderful time with him, and found his pricing extremely reasonable.

Good luck!
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:00 PM

Sorry, I realized I didn't read your whole post carefully enough. You've really got two day trips planned out- one to Pisa, and one to San Gimignano and Siena. Pisa is not on the way to SIena. In fact, it's really in the opposite direction. I'd recommend looking into guided tours from Florence-Pisa, or squeezing out an extra day to do it with Luca.

Don't let anyone talk you out of going to Pisa though, esp.with kids in tow! It IS worth doing, and your kids will probably always remember it.

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Weadles,
Thanks for the suggestions and name of driver too.
ciao,
joangk
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:24 AM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
We used Luca two weeks ago and he was terrific (www.hillsandroads.com). If you need his cell phone number, let me know. We were really glad we hired him instead of trying to do it ourselves for the very reasons you mentioned. To read more about him, check out my trip report by clicking on my initials. I think I saved his business card at home which details his rates. He charges $25 an hour for 1-2 people and it goes up slightly from there.

Dave