Tuscany/Siena Itinerary and Hotels?

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:11 PM
allison

Tuscany/Siena Itinerary and Hotels?

My family and I are hoping to do a whirlwind Tuscany tour for 4-5 days in Sept. We want to see Lucca, Siena, San Gimignano, and Montepulciano. Is it possible to see these places in that amount of time and should we use Siena as a base for day trips? Should we try to see Volterra and/or Monte Oliveto as well/instead of another place?

Regarding Hotels in Siena: Antica Torre, Santa Caterina, Chiusarelli, or splurge on Cerotosa di Maggiano?

THANKS!
allison

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:42 PM
Deb

Allison, just a few thoughts,We decided to leave out Lucca because it was out of the way, you might want to look at a map and see if you think it is worth the time. I also might suggest Montalcino instead of or in addition to Montalpulciano. I dont know where you are flying into and out of but you might want to stay in two different places instead of just basing in one to experience different hotels or agriturismo.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:26 AM
RomyNL

Allison,
I thin it's a bit too optimistic to see all these 5 towns in 4-5 days. I would recommend you to skip Montepulciano as IMO the least interesting of the ones mentioned by you. Plus, I would recommend to add couple hours in Pisa on Piazza dei Miracoli to combine with Lucca.
By the way, Lucca was a real highlight of the trip to Tuscany this spring.
Unfortunately, I cannot recommend the hotels in these towns, as we rented a house and did day-trips with a car from there.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:47 AM
Alice Twain

I also agree on leaving Lucca out, unlesso you are flying in Pisa, than Lucca will be close by and you might visiti it either soon after your arrival or right before your departure. The tour you are going to have will require a car. Most of the palces you re ging to visit will require mno moer than a few hours: they are smallish villages for the best part. Make sure you are not visiting San Gimignano ona Sunday or a Saturday. Also, add to the list of the places you are visiting Pienza and Monteriggioni.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Patti

Hi Allison,

Will you have a car? If you are driving I think your itinerary is doable, but know that it takes longer to get anywhere than you think--the roads are very twisty. You should absolutely visit Monte Oliveto Maggiore if you are in the area, really beautiful and serene. A hotel suggestion south of Monte Oliveto is the Hotel Posta Marcucci in Bagno Vignoni, a spa town with a neat Renaissance piscina in the town center. The hotel has a huge hot sulphur spring-fed swimming pool that is fun for kids and grownups.

Of your Siena hotels, I stayed at the Chiusarelli, which was nice but on a busy street. Ask for a room(s) in the back if possible.

Tuscany is magical, you'll have a wonderful time!

Patti

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Patti

Hi Allison,

Will you have a car? If you are driving I think your itinerary is doable, but know that it takes longer to get anywhere than you think--the roads are very twisty. You should absolutely visit Monte Oliveto Maggiore if you are in the area, really beautiful and serene. A hotel suggestion south of Monte Oliveto is the Hotel Posta Marcucci in Bagno Vignoni, a spa town with a neat Renaissance piscina in the town center. The hotel has a huge hot sulphur spring-fed swimming pool that is fun for kids and grownups.

Of your Siena hotels, I stayed at the Chiusarelli, which was nice but on a busy street. Ask for a room(s) in the back if possible.

Tuscany is magical, you'll have a wonderful time!

Patti

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 02:39 PM
allison

Hey, thanks to everyone for the great info! Yes, we will have a car and we will be making a round trip from Rome.

How far is Lucca from Rome or Siena? I don't think I can eliminate it - I have been there before and really want to go back. What types of towns are Pienza and Monteriggioni? Hilltop, smallish- like San G? No need for Pisa, we did that once before and it was way over-rated...

And, one last idea- is Cinque Terre too far, if for some reason we extend the trip?

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:07 PM
TheTraveler

Hi Allison, I just returned from 19 days in Europe--10 of which were in Italy. We spent 2 nights in San Mamete on Lake Lugano and were able to visit Como on the second day--only 20 kilo away. We spent 2 nights in Portovenere-near the Cinque Terre--3 nights right outside of Pienza and 2 nights in Venice.

On the way from Portovenere to Pienza we stopped by Pisa and San Gimignano. I have stayed near San G before. We stayed at a B&B/farm just outside of Pienza and loved it. They have 11 rooms which are plain but clear. It is run by Felice and Guila who speak no English, but can Guila cook! 5 course gourmet meals and all at a cost of $62 Euros per day-half board. It is in Karen Brown's B&B guide and was rec here--Santo Pietro.

We visited Montalcino, Pienza (small, but charming--not as touristy as San G), San Antimo abbey and we took a day trip to Florence. We loved the location.

I will be posting a trip report for further details or let me know if you need more. The Traveler. P.S. I would do the Cinque Terre separately. It needs a full uninterrupted day--2 nights?

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:10 PM
TheTraveler

Allison...Sorry. The room was clean not clear, and the cost of Santo Pietro is 62 Euros per day half board per person! The Traveler.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:25 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Wow traveler, I love your itinerary and choice of locations. How did you happen to discover those places?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 01:01 AM
Alice Twain

Lucca is a LOOOONG way from Siena and even longer from Rome. I have travelled several times from Pistoia to Siena, and it took us 1 hour and a half by the fast route (autostrada) and 2 hours and something by the slower but more scenic route (side roads). In order to get to Lucca you would have to travel further for about half an hour. Obvuoisly this was done by car, by train it would take you more than 3 hours.
Pienza is a small and unique village. It was where one pope (Pio II, if I am not wrong) was born, and he decided to have it completely rebuilt so that it would turn into a "ideal city". Such cities were en vogue in Italy during renaissance, beside Pienza there are Sabbioneta, Palmanova and several others.
San Gimignano if far bigger than Pienza (almost a metropolis) and it has now turned more or less in a fake place, the Tuscanian village the way tourists deam it is, while far less touristy Pienza is still a "real" place.

http://www.alicetwain.supereva.it/photobook/photoindex.html?p
http://www.acpb.com/moveaboutitaly/t...pienza_en.html

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:39 PM
topper

to the top