Prioritizing Prague Attractions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that I have booked my flight, reserved my hotel, and booked tickets to Aida and The Marriage of Figaro for late June, I am trying to figure the best of the many sights to visit.

So far my top priority, which actually seems to be my top 3 or 4, is the Prague Castle. I am counting Sternberg Palace as separate from the many attractions within the castle walls.

After the castle and the art museum, it seems that a walk across the Charles Bridge as sunset is a must as is a visit to the astronomical clock.

From a personal point of view, visits to the Dvorak and Smetana museums are up next on my list.

After that, I am a little undecided.
We will be in Prague a total of 4 nights, so any suggestions that would help me select from the following of attractions would be most helpful:

Vysehrad, Loreto, Cernin Palace, Strahov Monastery, St. Nicholas Church, Church of St. James, and the Old-New Synagogue.

Of course, I undoubtedly missed something, so add or substract from my list. This is definitely a work in progress.

I have a good street map of Prague that shows the tram lines. As usual, the good people at onemapplace.com had what I needed.

I don't want to get too ambitious in setting up a list. There are some physical limitations, like bad knees, to be taken into account.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 06:21 PM

To each his/her own, but the Castle isn't my best memory from my trips to Prague. I mean, it's impressive to have a castle in one's city, but it didn't move me particularly with the major exception of St Vitus Cathedral. If I'd seen nothing else on Castle Hill, St Vitus would have sufficed.

the St Nicholas church in Mala Strana was a highlight; the one in Old Town has some sweet concerts occasionally, but it isn't a gorgeous church.

The New-Old Synagogue is still an active one, and the admission charge is separate from the ticket that gets you entry to the other synagogues. I loved the Spanish one myself as the most elaborately-decorated, and the Pinkas for its Holocaust Memorial.

The absolute best sightseeing activity we did on my second visit to Prague, was to take the guided tour of Municipal House, Obecni Dum. This building has 650 rooms, the one-hour tour includes perhaps 10 of them, and these vary. The building interior is a treasure of Art Nouveau decoration and gorgeous detail, the pattern on the curtains in each room matches the patterns on even the radiator grilles. One room was decorated by Czech artist Alfons Mucha, and I’ll never forget it. These tours are limited in size and in English are offered on an infrequent basis and must be reserved in advance. www.obecnidum.cz I can’t believe I didn’t see this on my first visit, and obviously I highly recommend it. We had a lunch at the
Kavarna Obecni Dum (Caf&eacute on the ground floor of Municipal House. It is a beautiful room with mediocre food and, not surprisingly, high prices. Still, I found the setting thrilling, and likened it to having an overpriced drink or dessert at Café Florian on St Mark’s Piazza in Venice. Tourist trap? Maybe. But memorable.

If you'd like to have my Prague file, feel free to email me at
[email protected]
Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Hi Bob,
I have a Czech sister-in-law who recommended two essential tourist visits:
(1) Mucha museum as mentioned above, but do read up on his life story/background before a visit as well as joining the English introductory film. The museum has a good bookshop.
http://www.mucha.cz/index.phtml?S=home&Lang=EN

(2) St Agnes of Bohemia convent. Allow plenty of time here incl. the even better bookshop for books, large posters (take a cylinder from home) and great choice of Mucha playing cards which are great as gifts and cheaper than the museum.

Also the bookshop on Wencelas Square is great for gifts - visit upstairs as well as the small section separate on the left of entry.

Don't think you will have time, but a train day visit to the world heritage site of Olomouc is memorable.

http://www.travelinczech.com/resorts...ublic/olomouc/
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 01:36 AM

Hi Bob,

did you see my brief Prague report?
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35103859

I commented on some of the places you mentioned.

Definitely visit the Dvorak and Smetana museums (liked Villa Bertramka a lot).

I highly recommend to visit Vysehrad. The cemetery is a must (with graves of Dvorak and Smetana), the neo-gothic church is open on weekends only, mornings and afternoons.

Loreto is another must and easily to combine with Strahov Monastery. I also liked St. Nicholas at Mala Strana, but be prepared to pay 50 CZK entrance fee.

Maybe a good option is Schwarzenberg Palace next to Prague castle - they open a Baroque exhibit there March 28.

Ingo
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 05:29 AM

bob, I agree with the Municipal House suggestion. The only way to see the upstairs is to take the tour. I think the first one begins at 10:00 a.m. A great way to start the day. It was my favorite.