Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Printing Boarding Passes--how about for return flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the first time I have printed my own boarding passes; no problem for tomorrow's flight to France. But how do we get boarding passes for return to USA in 10 days?
Old May 7th, 2005, 09:30 PM

Most airlines only allow you to do that no more than 24-30 hours before you board. If your hotel has a business center, you can sometimes print a boarding pass; an internet cafe might be another option.
Old May 8th, 2005, 01:25 AM

I wasn't aware that you could even print out a boarding pass for a flight overseas since as a general rule your documents (passport) will have to be checked at some point (by the airline).

You say you have already printed out the boarding pass(es)..so just when and where will those documents be checked by the airline??????
Old May 8th, 2005, 03:09 AM

We're flying Continental to England Wed. and their web site informs us that you can print out boarding passes for international flights now.

I guess I'll give it a try and see how it works when I get to the aiport.
Old May 8th, 2005, 04:20 AM

I don't see why it matters where the boarding passes are printed, as long as its all verified upon check-in at the airport. I haven't done this yet, and would appreciate any post-trip reports/experiences with this.
Old May 8th, 2005, 04:44 AM

I routinely print out boarding passes on the outbound, but I've never printed them for the return and I've not noticed others holding those types of boarding passes on the return, either. I'm trying to recall if I've even seen E-kiosks on the European side with Northwest/KLM and I don't think that I have.

If you can't escape the check-in process and proceed directly to the gate -- (perhaps not possible if you have bags to check) -- then I don't see much advantage to printing your own boarding passes unless it would be for the purposes of seat selection.

Like platzman, I would be interested to hear of others' experiences with this.
Old May 8th, 2005, 06:59 AM

We do the online check-in - mainly for seat selection/confirmation. From home, we print our boarding passes. We always have checked luggage so we have to talk to the agent (where they check our passports.) I'm sure there has to be a point in the check-in process for those with just a carry-on would have their passports checked.

On the return flight, we use either an internet cafe or hotel internet (if available) to check-in. Since there is no printer available, I just do the check-in and don't print the boarding pass. They will print one up for you when you get to the airport.

Even if you don't do the online check-in, if the airlines has an electronic check-in kiosk, you can use that and save yourself at least a 1/2 hour wait in the regular check-in line. We've found that there are a LOT of techno-phobic people out there who won't use (or don't know about) the self-service kiosks. We've never had to wait for more than one or two people to check in ahead of us. Leaves a lot more time for duty-free shopping!!
Old May 8th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Some airlines also give you bonus frequent flyer miles for using online check-in.
Old May 8th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all! I believe I have to show this boarding pass when using curbside check in and then not until we board the plane (in scant hours from now!), with our passports.

When I did this online, it asked for my passport number, emerg. number, etc., all the questions they used to ask in person.

kayb95; I thought that's what I would do--see if I can do it at hotel or internet cafe since they can only be printed 24 hrs. in advance.

Au revoir!
Old May 8th, 2005, 11:20 AM

grandmere, you will have to show your boarding pass etc. when you go through security also. Have a wonderful trip!