Search

print out

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 10:14 AM
cj

print out

How can I print out messages from this board? I'd like to print out specific messges instead of writing them down. Thanks!

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Danna

cj... someone in an earlier thread had a great idea for this. They opened a blank document under the internet... then used cut and paste back and forth when they wanted a hard copy! Wish I could say I thought of it... Hope this helps!

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 10:19 AM
robbie

Place your cursor somewhere on the text of the message & click. Then move the cursor to "print" & click. <BR> The message & its replies will prin out. However, it will print all of the replies whether it is 2 or 35.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 10:32 AM
sandi

You have to click in the response area (as mentioned above) but thendo a print preview to make sure is correct. Sometimes it prints just the left-hand column.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 10:38 AM
Diane

I usually do the "open a Word Pad document from the Start button under Accessories in the bottom left corner" and follow the highlight, copy and paste routine. Last night I wanted to get all responses. However I hadn't clicked my cursor on one of the replies, and it started printing off all the topics. YIKES! Glad I can cancel print quickly.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 10:40 AM
John

Highlight the text you want to print, then right-click on it, click on "print" and then check the box for "selection" (that's all in IE. don't know if Netscape is different.) Voila!

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Linda

The "right click/print/selection" function is a function of Windows and should work with almost any Windows program. By the way, if you want to print out the entire question/replies, the easiest way is right click anywhere on the question (right side of the screen), select "Select all". Then right click/print/selection. You won't get the stuff in the left column. This should work with any Windows-based operating system.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Computer Illiterate

Okay, you computer wonders...I followed you up to the word pad (great, by the way!)and now I assume I can save it. Do you know my next step to transfering it via my cd burner? I already have a disc that I can add to. <BR>I have all this great equipment...I should spend as much time on a computer website learning how to use it as I do the Fodor's site!!! <BR>Thank you in advance. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 03:26 PM
Christina

not sure I follow you. I don't use wordpad but I presume there is an option if you click on "file" to save the stuff by giving it a name to save it under(it would be "text" which is just ASCII and probably end in TXT extension). You should have software that will copy stuff to your CD, although I think regular copying commands actually work on CDs, just like you copy stuff from one drive to another or one directory to another (DOS or Explorer). I think putting a small amount of stuff on a CD is overkill, though, it should easily fit on a diskette if it is just a list of URLs.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 03:44 PM
cj

Thanks for all the answers! There's a lot that will help many others, too!

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Nancy

If you use Netscape & want all the replies you can right click in the window you want to print (the right hand one) and select "open frame in new window". You can then just click print and you will have the entire page without the left menu print out.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Susan

Darn! I thought John had saved me from my laborious cutting & pasting routine to a document. I tried his suggestion to highlight & right click in order to print directly from Fodors. I got a dialog page with options: as laid out on the screen, only the selected frame, all frames individually. I chose "only the selected frame" & it printed out ALL the messages! What should I have chosen? (I have a Canon BJC 6000 if that matters.) Thanks.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 05:08 PM
Rex

It printed ALL the messages from ONE given thread? That IS "the frame". <BR> <BR>If you want just one message from one thread, you're going to have to cut and paste, as far as I know. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 01:31 PM
Linda

You don't have to cut and paste if all you want to do is print. Just select the message then print, making sure you select the "selection" option.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 02:08 PM
John

A thought for all. <BR> <BR>When planning a trip I create a 'library' for reference (other people help me with trip preparations). <BR> <BR>Word Documents - Organized along the lines of: <BR>Transportation <BR>Hotels <BR>Restaurants <BR>Sites of Interest <BR>Misc <BR> <BR>And One Spreadsheet (two Pages) - Organized along the lines of: <BR>First page-Itinerary, Day, Date, Hotel, Hotel Conf, Tran, Tran Conf, etc. <BR> <BR>Second page-Useful URLs with description of use (also save these into favorites temporarily) <BR> <BR>I copy individual text from threads into appropriate reference places in the word documents to keep from revisiting ground and not to muck up a tremendous amount of information that will be used for reference. (Highlight, copy, open word document and paste) <BR> <BR>I use the spreadsheet as a control document to monitor reservation information. Confirmations are printed and attached to the control spreadsheet. (I take this with me on the trip). <BR> <BR>I also print out some of the thread information in a consolidated fashion by geography to take on the trip. <BR> <BR>I know this is perhaps overkill for most, but it works for me. . . I don't have to 'remember' everything, take notes, or waste time writing stuff down; and best of all, multiple people can help with 'discovering' great new stuff without a lot of overlap.