Search

English sausage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:47 PM
Jeanine

English sausage

How do I avoid exposure to mad cow disease with all of the sausage served at English bed and breakfasts?

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:54 PM
xxx

Duct tape. <BR> <BR>IV fluids. <BR> <BR>Take Louis Rich turkey hot dogs with you. <BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:56 PM
yyy

"An outbreak of food poisoning linked to tainted turkey cold cuts has killed four people, caused three miscarriages and sickened another 21 in 10 states since May, the government reports today" <BR> <BR>http://meatfilter.editthispage.com/2001/01/08 <BR> <BR>whoops. scratch that third idea. <BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Ger

Life is full of risks and I am prepared to take the risk of BSE for the taste of sausage & black and white pudding! <BR> <BR>English & Irish Sausages are almost exclusively pork based (if they are beef sausages they will tell you) so I don't think you can get mad cow unless the disease has spread to piggies. <BR> <BR>You can also go the granola/yogurt route <BR> <BR>Regards

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:30 PM
frank

Try asking for kippers instead.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:53 PM
sylvia

Well, if they are pork sausages, English pig farmers have the strictest rules in Europe about welfare, so your bangers will have come from contented pigs. If they are beef, you will only be in danger if the landlady has had them in the freezer since before 1988. <BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 02:52 AM
PB

""Message: Well, if they are pork sausages, English pig farmers have the strictest rules in Europe about welfare, so your bangers will have come from contented pigs. "" <BR> <BR>Since they've discovered that the recent horrendous epidemic of Hoof and Mouth was started by feeding bad swill (composed of leftovers from cafeterias and Chinese restaurants that had brought in illegal meat) to pigs... and then selling the pork as "prime", I think I'd pass on the sausages. I don't think I'd frequent too many Chinese restaurants there either. <BR> <BR>PB

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 02:59 AM
Florence

"There was one card I particularly resented sending. It was to the EEC Agriculture Commissioner in Brussels.....He's the fool who has forced through the plan to standardise the Eurosausage, and we'll be forced to accept some foreign muck like salami or bratwurst in its place. <BR>Of course, they can't actually stop us from eating the British sausage. But they can stop us calling it a sausage. it seems that it's got to be called the Emulsified High-Fat Offal Tube......." <BR>( Ed. J. Lynn & A. Jay "Yes Prime-Minister", 1986, Book Club Associates, P.11) <BR> <BR>http://www.yesminister.demon.nl/ymseas4.htm <BR>Bernard Woolley: "They cannot stop us eating the British sausage, can they?" <BR>Jim Hacker: "They can stop us calling it a sausage though. Apparently it has got to be called the Emulsified High-Fat Offal Tube." <BR>Bernard Woolley: "And you swallowed it?" <BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Mike

What's cruel about feeding swill to a pig?

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Sheila

Don't eat it!<BR><BR>Actually, with the regulations about what can be done with offal in this country you have far more chance of getting vCJD in the US which has no such rules.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Caitlin

Um, actually, there are laws in place in the US against feeding animal by-products to cattle, etc. Now, as for enforcement--I wouldn't feel too confident about that.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Clarke Griswold

I hear the pigeon pie is to die for!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Linda

I'd NEVER pass up a chance at Lincolnshire sausage (sage sausage). If I'm going to die from something, at least I'd die happy. (My theory is we all have to go sometime, might as well live to the fullest as long as I can. After all, that's why I travel to other countries to begin with.)

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Linda

Re: laws in US <BR> <BR>Actually, it's against the law to feed mammal parts to other mammals, but it is still legal to feed cows chicken parts and chicken droppings, which increase risks for salmonella. <BR> <BR>Lovely, isn't it?

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:27 PM
Offal

You like to eat brains, eyes, lips etc ? <BR>Then eat sausages ( Anywhere ! ).

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 02:16 PM
Sheila

Caitlin, it wasn't the mechanical byproducts which caused it in thefirst place to which I as referring; it was the laws against using brain stem material and MRM in the human food chain.