Priceline made a believer out of me

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:22 AM
SiD

Priceline made a believer out of me

For years of being anti-priceline. I've learned priceline is actually amazing.

I just booked by trip to Paris for $322 (EWR-CDG) Direct flight!!

And my previous booking was to Amsterdam for $299 (JFK-AMS)

Folks I ask you can you beat deals like these? Since 98% of the flights that leave for Europe from NY are evening departures (5:30pm+). So the chances of getting a flight that in the evening is great.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:39 AM
what

What did you do to tell the world your "anti-priceline" feelings? Walk around airports wearing a sandwich board? Did you make an alliance with the Hare Krishnas so they would hand out your promos and you would hand out theirs?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Dena

Traveling from the west coast I have always been concerned that I will end up with some nightmare three connection flight and have no recourse.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Alia

Dena-
You can specify how many connections you are willing to make

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Andrew

Sid, you didn't say which dates your flights have been, so I have no idea if these are great fares or not. There are some fantastic deals out there to be had without Priceline if you keep your eyes open for them.

I've used Priceline for hotels many times but never for air travel. I don't think I'd use them for domestic travel except for last-minute trips where the last-minute fare is through the roof via the airlines. I don't like the idea of getting in too late or leaving at 6AM.

I've taken a number of flights this year, but I've always managed to get such good deals on my own that I didn't need to try Priceline. Two flights PDX-EWR for $226 and $151 round-trip respectively (including tax - both were "regular" fares not web fares). An open-jaw PDX-CDG/AMS-PDX for $509 total. Priceline could never beat the two EWR flights, and I don't think you can fly open-jaw on Priceline...

But I would use Priceline for regular round-trip international flights. As you say, most flights from the east coast to Europe are evening flights; that means most flights from the west coast are red eyes, too, so times aren't so important.

Andrew

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Arik

Last week I've booked four nights in the Renaissance Vienna for $75 per night. Thanks to your forum, I decided to use priceline, and I'm very happy with this price.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Ann

If that price is for late spring or summer, it's fantastic. If it's for late fall, winter or early spring, you could probably get the same fare from regular channels.

I've used priceline for airfare, but no longer, as I have to connect to get to my final destination in Europe, and they kept sending me to bizarre places for my connections, often adding 1-2 hours to the original flight from Washington.

However, I do use priceline quite often for hotel and rental cars, and am very satisfied.