Search

Priceline London Hotel Breakfast

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:32 PM
PBH
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Priceline London Hotel Breakfast

I am thinking of using Priceline for London but would like to know if you get the standard full american breakfast with the low rates of do you pay extra or is breakfast even offered to Priceline customers. Does anyone know?
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Each hotel will be different. So don't count on breakfast being included, make your bid, and then contact the hotel directly to find out for sure.

You will save so much w/ PL you can easily afford b'fast in a cafe.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 07:03 PM

Priceline is room only, no breakfast included.

If you know what you're doing, however, the ridiculously low room rate will more than overcome that breakfast is not included.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 07:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>Priceline is room only, no breakfast included.</i>

In theory that's true - but some properties give b'fasts to everyone - even PL guests.

As I said, don't count on getting breakfast, but contact the hotel after your winning bid.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 07:29 PM

Kensington Forum HOliday Inn doesn't offer breakfast to PL customers, but there is a Tesco (I think) on the next block, and several diners with excellent, inexpensive breakfasts nearby.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 07:49 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
For the most part the chain hotels that one may get on PL in London don't offer breakfast for anyone (and in fact will charge a helluva lot for &quot;English&quot; breakfast.)
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:54 PM

Suggest you benchmark any bidding you do on Priceline with a hotel you can choose with good reviews.

e.g. The 3 star Stylotel and Darlington Hyde Park Hotels in Paddington have double rooms with full breakfasts for about $120 are certainly superior to most of the chain 4 star hotels, especially the Thistles so often dumped on Priceline pirchasers.

For simpler rooms the Hyde Park Towers in Bayswater have the same for $US 85.

In other words don't bid more than $US70 on Priceline.

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:30 AM

In London you're very lucky to get anything other than a room.
The whole business model of Priceline is underpinned by supplying US citizens to London Hotels. When they negotiate the deals with the hotels management, the London hotels takes the view they'll sell the rooms at cost and get their money on bars, breakfasts and other extra's which US people are so free spending on.
Priceline put obstacles in the way to stop non US people using their site so they can guarantee the 'gullible' US customers.

Priceline in Europe failed, principally because the hotels wouldn't give the same discounts because European customers won't spend the overpriced tariffs on the extras and went elsewhere for their breakfasts and drinks at independent outlets.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:38 AM

That's interesting, because UK citizens can still use http://www.priceline.co.uk (the UK version of Priceline) and it seems prices are equivalent in pounds to the US dollar prices on the US site.

Based on various travel board postings, I don't get the impression that most US Priceline users run up significant charges. My average incidental charge for a Priceline stay is $0, no matter where I go. Anyone who's budget-minded enough to use Priceline will balk at a rate of $40 USD for breakfast.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 03:42 AM

Big H is right - the original www.priceline.co.uk which was run on the priceline.com US model went out of business through lack of interest in Europe. The reason floated by Big H may well be right.

Anyway Priceline.com bought a European travel company early this year called Active Hotels and also purchased the rights for the priceline.co.uk url.
priceline.co.uk is now just a thinly disguised front end shell site for the Active Hotels site which doesn't run on the bidding model - seems Priceline.com has learnt its lesson in what works in Europe
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:00 AM

To get the best out of Priceline you need to take the Willtravel approach of rejecting all extra's and taking your breakfast and drinking outside the hotel.

But if all you want is a bed to sleep on in a clean, safe hotel you may as well take a good independent 3 star hotel in Bayswater or similar for around 50 GBP or one of the Travelodge 46 GBP rooms - at least you can select your hotel there.

To believe all 'Priceliners' extras bill is $0 naive. The hoteliers are not fools, they know that for everyone who doesn't spend on the extras there'll be 5 who do.
The Priceline.com marketing strategy is clever aimed at the US market, I thought that was common knowledge but is no different to the other classic US market sweeteners like offering books of money off vouchers which also doesn't seem to work so well on Europeans
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:55 AM

This is a bit off topic, but so often I see Thistle hotels (as in handfordr's post) put down. I usually stay in Thistles...good price...and I really think the ones i have used are very acceptable, even nice. I am not sure what people are expecting when they find Thistles so terrible. They do not aim at the deluxe client, nor do they charge deluxe prices. They are surely a cut above Holiday Inn or that sort.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 08:56 AM
PBH
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have used Priceline many times in the United States and have not been hit with alot of extra charges but I realize that could be different in Europe. It is still hard to resist a 4* hotel at 2* prices, breakfast or no breakfast.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 09:23 AM

There's no extras, period. You don't have to use the phone, you don't have to have breakfast at the hotel, you don't have to park your car at the hotel, and you don't have to order room service.

But you CAN do all of the above.

We live in a free society. We can make choices.

So, WillTravel is correct that his extra bill is always $0, because that's what he decides. And SueLondon is also correct that many Americans will spend extras, because that's what those other Americans decide.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Well, LondonSue, I usually skip the extras at hotels whether I'm using Priceline or not. I almost never eat or drink at a hotel anyway. If breakfast was included I would use it but given the tiny cost benefit I would hardly let that weigh into any decision of whether to use Priceline or not. Most people, I presume, don't change their philosophy about buying hotel &quot;extras&quot; just because they use Priceline.

As for taking a Travelodge for 46GBP or getting the Thistle Marble Arch for $55 (a good guess with BiddingForTravel.com), I think I'll stick with the Thistle, which I thought was quite nice and presumably nicer than the Travelodge and cheaper too.

Andrew
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Anyone who wants to compare Thistle prices can look at
http://www.thistlehotels.com/winter/ .
I see cheap prices advertised up front, but when I tried a few weekend and weekday options for some popular Priceline hotels, I got prices in the range of 87 pounds for a single room, including breakfast and VAT. So a double room, excluding breakfast, for 45 to 50 pounds total, would certainly be a better deal for me.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 01:32 PM

I hold my hands up, if you can use Priceline and not pay any extras, good for you.

The point I and the other poster am making is that you are the exception. Priceline havn't got special negotiating skills with hotels. Priceline deals are a calculated gamble taken by hotels not Priceline, they know from experience for the majority of US people they can get a profit out of the add-ons and make no money on the rooms.

If all Priceline customers just stayed in their rooms the hotels would soon put a stop to the low rates.

Willtravel, you will not find the cheap rates at the Thistle web site.
Most UK based discounters have them.

Lastminute.com have best availabilty.
Taking next Monday night as an example they have Thistle Selfridges on Oxford Street for 69 GBP for a double with breakfast.

&quot;Special offer at a 4* hotel overlooking Hyde Park London up to 66% off&quot; is Thistle Lancaster Gate also at 69 GBP

&quot;Incredible offers at a 4* hotel within walking distance of Buckingham Palace up to 76% off&quot; is Thistle Victoria at 59 GBP (no breakfast)

Active Hotels have doubles at all Thistles in London up to end of January for 69 GBP but not such good availability. Active have the advantage in that you can cancel your reservation up to 24 hours before starting your stay without any cancellation fees and you don't pay until you check out.

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 02:10 PM

Willtravel, your Priceline strategy does seem a bit odd.

In UK, 4 star hotels largely qualify for their 4 rating for providing proper room service, restaurants in the evening, concierge, bar facilities and making available other 'added value' services.
Otherwise they are a 2 or 3 star hotel.

Why bid for a 4 star hotel on the basis that you have no intention of using many of the facilities that justify it being a 4 star hotel in the first place.

If you look at biddingfortravel.com, this is a site that largely gains its visitors by promoting the Priceline company.
But, despite there being a perfectly good Priceline affilliate scheme where biddingfortravel.com could earn $10 per booking resulting from any of its visitors click throughs they don't use it.
Instead their preferred business model to survive is through affilliate schemes of rival hotel companies to Priceline strtaegically positioned to catch your eye.
Says a lot doesn't it ?

I fully acknowledge that many people still will prefer a hotel with a 4 star tag, even if they can't choose any other facet of the hotel. Many others who don't need the frill of a 4 star would prefer a named 2 or 3 star hotel with known facilities, reputation and location at the same price

Londonsue has shown that Priceline do not necessarily have the best deals even if you are from US and the not being able to choose your hotel feature of Priceline has no monetary value in you evaluation of hotel choice.
Sometimes Priceline offers a great deal, sometimes it doesn't. Most times different individuals will come to diiferent conclusions.

My main point is I don't think the 'Priceline is the answer - now what is your question' attitude in many of your posts stands up.

I would request you refraim from your standard 'Priceline is the answer' posts and respect the poster as an individual that deserves an individually reasoned answer to their question.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 02:24 PM

going places,

Some Thistles are nicer than some Holiday Inns and vice versa.

I think the HI Kensington is nicer than most Thistles in London. The Royal Horseguards, The Thistle Charing Cross and The Cumberland (which is strictly no longer a Thistle) are the only three better.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 03:29 PM

I would never say Priceline is the answer for all users - maybe 25% or 50%, maybe 75%, but it really depends on the user's preferences, doesn't it? I've been perfectly happy with three different London Holiday Inns at the 3* and 4* level assigned by Priceline, and no other deal came close for quality and location. I haven't been given worse rooms - twice I was upgraded to executive rooms. If someone suggests Priceline to a traveler, then someone else is always free to suggest any possible better deals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -