Search

Preveza, Greece

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2009, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preveza, Greece

Does anyone know anything about Preveza? I keep searching the web for "things to do in Preveza" but come up empty. We are going to be there for 3-full days for our daughter's choral competition next weekend, but I know that we're not going to be consumed with that the entire time. We'd like to take in some sights - or even make a day trip (to Corfu???), but I can't find anything on that possibility.

Also, we're flying into Ionnina and we'll need to rent a car to drive to Preveza. Any good car rental companies anyone could recommend?

Thank you for your help!
CiCi
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 12:26 PM

First, check out the Lonely Planet chapter on Epiros. I have a copy in front of me and it covers all the surrounding area. Preveza is near beautiful beaches and is near a large wild life sanctuary. Have not stayed there but have changed buses to go from Parga to Ioannina. Parga, Arta, Ioannina and the river Nekromanteoi of Afyra, the gate of Hades. Arta has beautiful churches and a beautiful arched bridge. The archaelogical site called Nikopolis (Augustus defeated Antony and Cleopatra near here - ancient Actium). Ioannina, a beautiful town on a lake, is about 2 hours by bus, and is one of the larger towns in the region. The Zagoria caves are near it. The whole region is very green unlike much of Greece. If you are looking for info online try looking under the region Epiros, because tourist information listed under the governmental region, rather than by city. I stayed in Parga which is a smaller town, and very pretty and then went to Ioannina which I enjoyed very much.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 01:12 AM

Hi CiCiara - I spent a fortnight in Parga and loved the whole area - one of my favourite parts of Greece. So green as Mes says. Beautiful beaches around Parga - and the Zagoria area near Ioannina is scenic.

Nearby Lefkada is also pleasant.

Steve
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

SO helpful, thank you so much! I am now getting more excited about the Preveza portion of my trip!!!

Thanks again : -)
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 01:24 AM

I can only agree - there is lots to see in the area, far more than you'll have time for in 3 days. We've never been into the town itself but stayed in Parga, Lefkada and the Zagoria area, all within driving distance.

I have some pictures on here:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/345143/index.html

This has some pictures of Ioanninia and Zagoria:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/348714/index.html

This has some pictures from Lefkada:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/348861/index.html
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 03:48 AM

Maria - Your photos are superb!

Thanks for posting them - they brought back memories of a great holiday in a beautiful area

Steve
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Maria: Your photos are beautiful. I forgot to mention that you can take a bus to Metsovo from Ioannia and feel like you are in Switzerlands. The wood houses are amazing and the air feels pure. Your pictures of that area and the Vikos Gorge remind me of 2005! I hope the op had a good time in the area.