Has anyone been to Evia, Greece?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Greece at the end of September, and are thinking either the island of Evia or southern Peloponnese. I am concerned that the towns on Evia may be the horrible brick houses like in many parts of Athens. I'm hoping for some picturesque towns such as Napthion. Can anyone shed some light on this island. We intend to sight see but not necessarily ancient sights because we will have just come from 15 days visiting ancient sights in Turkey. Any lovey towns in Evia where we could just hang out? Thanks.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM

I see there haven't been any ideas... I'm afraid I've only seen Evia from across the water in Marathon.

Try your question in the Greece forum at tripadvisor.com as there are many Greek locals
always there.

Rob
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 01:21 PM

hello corriedog

It must be close to 20 years since I visited Evia and I remember it well. In those days, there were few tourists and most visitors were Athenians. I doubt that has changed.

A beautiful island, green and hilly with some very attractive small towns and villages. It reminded me of a Greece that disappeared many years ago yet it is so close to Athens.

It cannot compare with Nafplio nor should it try to.

I spent a few days in the capital Halkida and then a few more in Limni. Not in any way will you find horrible brick houses. These are very pleasant places to visit and lodge in. I would return to them both if I could.

That's a good suggestion from ParisAmsterdam but when doing any web search it might be more successful if you use the word Euboea and not Evia.

Bill
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou both. I have had a quick look at Tripadvisor, and it does have lots of info which I will map out when I get a minute. I was also thinking of the Arcadia region of Pelopennese - starting with Napthion, pretty hillside villages, beautiful European trees (We come from Australia) but Evia seems to have that too. (And may be able to sneak in a trip to Sparta too!)
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 05:44 AM

Don't rule out the Peloponnese... I was there last spring after a 30 plus year absence and it was wonderful.

You may feel you are all 'ruined out' but sites like Mycenae, Tiryns and Epidaurus are amazing no matter where you've just been.

And Nafplion is a lovely town to visit.