Prescription medication in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Italy this summer for a study abroad, and I need to know if I can get my meds refilled at Italian pharmacies. My insurance won't cover me there, so it'll be out of pocket. I'd have them shipped to me, but besides being hundreds of dollars, I read that it's a customs nightmare and that they woud be seized. Does anyone know if one could simply bring a paper prescription and have it filled there? Or where/who might have other information (in English) on the topic? THANKS!!!
Old May 30th, 2013, 03:49 PM

Can you not get enough meds before you go and take them with you?
I wouldn't imagine you could have a script that is not from an Italian doctor filled in an Italian pharmacy.
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are only doing a summer study just get a 3 month supply of your meds before you leave. I always get my meds for three months.

>>>Does anyone know if one could simply bring a paper prescription and have it filled there?<<<

Some meds don't require a prescription in Europe even if they do in the US. Often a pharmacist can issue meds and you don't need a doctor. Just depends on what type of med.

I'd be surprised if your prescription from home was filled at an Italian pharmacy. Surely it won't comply with the Italian system. I haven't had to do this, but if you can't take enough with you, then I would think you'd need to see an Italian doctor who could write the appropriate prescription for you.

How lovely to have the whole summer in Italy!

Oops posted at the same time as kybourbon,
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:37 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I get a "vacation lift" from my drug insurance to give me enough for my extended trips. It just takes a phone call.
Old May 30th, 2013, 11:33 PM

I had US prescriptions filled in Italy -- easily. What I found out was that the Italian pharmacists wanted to make sure the dosage was correct and did not want to rely on my verbal requests. They wanted to see the current bottle from the US or a written prescription -- from US. With these, I had all my meds taken care of. The biggest issue were the US doctors. One clinic refused to send me a new prescription because they were sure (wrong) that Italian pharmacies would not accept US prescriptions. I didn't have problems getting prescriptions from a doctor who traveled often to Italy. When I mentioned my experience to a friend, I was warned about the quality of meds outside US, really? The med I have been buying in the US was ... made in Italy! The cost? At full retain price, I paid in Italy less than my deductibles in the US.
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:17 AM

How many days'll stay in Italy? Where? If you stay long it is prudent to have an insurance, not only for drugs. If the U.S. insurance does not cover you, you can do an Italian insurance or subscribe to the National Health System. It depends on how much time remains.
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:03 AM

Aside from taking enough meds with you from the US, I think there cannot be a blanket answer.

As you will pay full price of the meds in Italy (like greg did), the requirements of the national health system are not relevant. It depends on whether the respective pharmacist considers a foreign prescription as a legit document. One can assume that a prescription form from a US doctor will raise no or less eyebrows than one from countries which the pharmacist has not even heard of. But I would say that this is more or less at the discretion of the pharmacist and he/she is not required to honor a foreign prescription.

What you should do (as greg said) is to bring the original package of your medication, with the ingredients listed. Not many drugs are sold under the same brand name worldwide. So the pharmacist has to find the exact Italian equivalent.

Furthermore, many countries list prescription medicine in different classes. The more dangerous (or addictive) the content, sometimes a special prescription is needed. No clue if Italy has such a regime or not. Or if you need meds that could fall in this category.

Or, on the contrary, some drugs which need a prescription in your country are OTC drugs in Italy.

So taking medication with you from the US still might be the most reliable option, unless you are 100pct sure about the other questions.
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:35 AM

I had no problem getting meds in Italy. I got sick in Italy. I went to a Pronto Securso and ended up in the hospital for 4 days. It was a wonderful experience. It did not cost me anything. I was able to get meds at any pharmacy. The cost was nominal .My doctor in the U.S gave me a prescription for a subsequent visit. Socialized medicine works well in Italy and France and is very affordable.