Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Prebooking First Capital Connect train from London St Pancas to Gatwick?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are arriving on Eurostar from Paris at 2006 hours per Jan 2010 schedule and need to get to Gatwick. There is a nonstop First Capital Connect train that leaves at 2024 hours. Will we make it? Should we prepurchase our tickets on internet so we can avoid the ticket line? What if the Eurostar is late? Will the next train accept our ticket or are they forfeited? Thanks!
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 09:57 PM

Why are you doing this?

There's another direct train (there's practically no such thing as a "nonstop" train anywhere on the planet: that's an airline concept and close to meaningless with trains) leaving 30 mins later: if you're on a late night flight for which you need to be at Gatwick by a specific time and getting the 2024's vital, you're taking far too great a risk.

If all you're concerned about is avoiding a queue, there are lots of ticket machines around the station. Yes you can book on the web, and no the ticket won't usually be train-specific, unless - which is highly unlikely - you book some kind of deal which requires a specific train.

But almost all web bookings on UK trains require you to go to the machine, insert your card, then get the physical ticket. The time saving over just going to the machine and buying a ticket is 10-15 secs: people prebook to get advantage of some kind of prebooking deal - which is practically never offered on the glorified metro that makes up the London area overground railway system. I'm not aware of any vendor that posts tickets to an overseas address - and if there is one, it'll almost certainly cost extra

You'll PROBABLY get through the slightly convoluted system of getting from a Eurostar, out into the non-secure part of the station, then up to the FCC platforms, via the ticket machines, in about 10 mins. Understanding the station layout (www.stpancras.com) will help. But if you're delayed there's a limitless nuimber of eateries etc, and another train half an hour later.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 01:34 AM

Don't worry about the train ticketing. There is no need to pre-book.

I'd be more worried about making sure you've allowed enough total time for check-in at Gatwick. That's where late-running on either Eurostar or FCC would make an issue.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 04:01 AM

Agreed, I think FCC trains run every 30ish mins to Gatwick, however I would not want to be cutting it that close if you have to take a flight that evening! There is always the the chance to delays on Eurostar and the FCC!
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. We are just going to a Gatwick area hotel and have a morning flight the next day. I just like to be organized since I'm traveling with three teens. Like herding cats. Thanks again. I feel better.