Pre-Purchase of AVE Tickets

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-Purchase of AVE Tickets

We are flying into Madrid (arriving 9:30 am on a Sunday) and plan to proceed directly to Atocha to catch the AVE to Toledo where we will spend our first night.

I know that we can purchase the AVE tickets from the RENFE website in advance, but I've read that they have to be picked up at least 24 hours in advance the first time or else they cancel them. Since we won't be able to comply and since we aren't really sure how long it will take to get through customs and to Atocha, it would probably be simpler to wait and buy the tix at the Barajas RENFE office once we clear customs. Any risk that we won't be able to get tickets on a Sunday morning to Toledo (April 23rd)?

Thanks for any input.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 09:44 AM

No, you won't have any problem The AVE to Toledo is more like a conmuter's train so I don't think it will be crowded on Sunday !
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 11:57 AM

This info is copied from aena website:
In the arrivals area of T1 (ground floor) there is a RENFE office. Here you can ask for any kind of information about the railway network, make reservations and even buy long-haul and AVE tickets.

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 02:15 PM

I'm not sure what time the Renfe office in T1 opens on Sunday, but you can count on it not being open too early.

If you purchase your ticket on-line at Tiknet, you can pick it up at the ticket at any Renfe window or station, including the one at the airport.

There is no 24-hour deadline on your first purchase after you register your name and credit card with Tiknet. The problem is that you will not be able to print the tickets the first time you use a new credit card for the transaction. What you will need is to show them the credit card you used to purchase the tickets otherwise they will not give them to you, regardless.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. I hope that the RENFE office is open by 10:00 on Sunday. I've looked at the RENFE and AENA websites but can not find any reference to the hours of operation at the Barajas RENFE office in T1. Does anyone know or know where to look? Thanks again.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:03 PM

Actually, the AENA webpage shows the following information for the Renfe Office:

Opening hours:
8:00am to 9.00pm - Mondays to Friday.
8:00am to 2.30pm - Saturdays.
Closed - Sundays and public holidays.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Robert. Too bad they are closed on Sunday, but at least we know now.

So do you all think I'd be better off buying the ticket on the RENFE website in advance and picking it up at Atocha, or just waiting and buying it at Atocha? Will it make any difference in terms of what lines we have to wait in? Thanks.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:34 AM

That's a tough one. I've never tried it since we usually purchase the tickets in advance and print them off, or use one of the local travel agents and pay the small fee for their service. I do know that the lines at Atocha can be long.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:38 AM

Usually the line for pick up the pre-purchased tickets is shorter. You just have to show the credit card, there's no cash change and it usually goes quickier
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

"or use one of the local travel agents and pay the small fee for their service" ----- I'm OK with this approach but don't know how to proceed. Can any travel agent do this or are there some Internet-based ones that I could do it through?

Thanks again!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 10:31 AM

No, no internet based. He's talking about going to a travel agent here in Spain (many agents sell Renfe tickets). But you don't have time for that, I think
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:22 AM

I have a similar question:
We have three legs that we will need tickets for:
Sevilla - Madrid
Madrid - Toledo
Toledo - Madrid

Of those three, only the Toledo-Madrid leg is time specific. We need to get to Madrid in time to catch our flight back to the States.

Can I by the tickets for Toledo-Madrid online and then pick up once we arrive in Spain? We'll have several days before we need them. Then after I pick up those tickets, I can get online and reserve and print the other legs. Or, just buy at the station when I pick up those tickets?

Is this correct?

Thanks!