[Pre-planning] 2-week solo summer trip to Europe [July, 2013]

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an outgoing 28 year old male with a passion for meeting new people. I enjoy live music, night life, good food, natural wonders, and interesting people.

The places I feel like I must visit are:

Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin and Prague.

Do you think 14 days is adequate to see at least some of these cities? I know that everyone says you must reserve quite a few days for Paris, but I just don't have tons of extra time. I'd really love to see as much as possible in each city and I'm hoping I can find some accommodating hosts to show me around.

This was supposed to be a trip I had planned with my girlfriend where we were planning to stay in nice hotels across Europe but she is out of the picture now so I'm looking to go the cheap and exciting route of couch surfing!

I am fully open to suggestions and nothing in my plans in concrete. I'm really planning on using this trip to expand my view of the world and soak up the cultures of other countries.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 07:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You lose half a day in every move, but say 4 days in each city is ok with say Berlin and Amsterdam being squeezed down. I guess on your own its nice to keep moving but I think I might drop one city and chill out a bit more (Probably Prague at the end of July which is just going to be tourist stuffed)
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 10:36 AM

I would't count on getting a lot of hosts willing to spend all of their time showing your around. It's certainly possible you might find one - but most people have jobs and/or responsibilities.

And I think you will find that people on this forum are not couchsurfing. Suggest you to the budget student web sites/guides for info on what you are looking for: Let's Go Guide and Thorn Tree section of the Lonely Planet web site.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Well, I'm not dedicated to couchsurfing. I just thought it would be a nice way to save money and meet new people.

Honestly, I'd much rather spend the money and have a nice hotel to stay out but I'm just worried that by myself, I'll end up bored.

Comments?
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 11:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Honestly - if you think you'd be bored in Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin and Prague you might want to reconsider going at all. They are four of the least boring places I can think of . . . .
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

I'm going for the camaraderie as well as the travel. I'm not super keen on eating every meal by myself and visiting bars alone.

Is that abnormal?
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 02:59 PM

You might consider staying in hostels. You would meet a lot of people (almost every hostel has a bar also). Most also offer free walking tours of the city.
There is a good website called Famous Hostels that you should check out. Also you can look at hostel world and hostel bookers. Be sure to read the ratings and reviews.
You will meet people from all over the world in hostels and you are almost sure to find friends to hang out with.
If you do decide to follow this option, consider making reservations online. Many of the good hostels fill up in advance.