Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pre-booking Venice gondola ride--is it possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have two friends who are getting married very soon and they're honeymooning in Venice and I would like to make advance arrangements for a gondola ride for them. I thought this would be a neat gift but it's getting very complicated. The problem is, I don't know where my friends will be staying when they're in Venice. I assume it will be somewhere in or near San Marco.

Does anyone know of a company that would allow me to pre-arrange a gondola ride someplace in or near San Marco at sunset?

Thanks so much for your input.

-R
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 03:01 PM

I think American Express does...maybe check their website
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 04:00 PM
rex

But I would no more try to do this, than I would try to pre-book a carriage ride in front of the Plaza Hotel.

They will know when to "do it" (excuse me, I know this is a family-friendly forum) - - take the gondola ride of their dreams, that is - - by the weather, and the sparkle in each other's eyes, and the giddiness in their feet walking six inches off the ground.

There will be other special moments to their honeymoon - - and you can't pre-book those for them wither... wink...

Congratulations to your friends on their new lives in marriage... and...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 05:53 PM

In all my years of experience with Venice, I've never heard of such a thing and I wouldn't waste my time trying to make it happen.

Frankly, I wouldn't want anyone choosing my gondola because each one is decorated differently and some are really designed with incredible creativity and exotic decoration. No two gondolas are alike and half the fun of shopping for one is seeking out the one that suits your fantasy.

Also, no two gondolieri are alike. Some are homely. Some are fat. Some are older. Some are younger. Some smell sour. Some smell sweet. Some sing and come with accordion players while others just sing. Some are drop-dead gorgeous with muscles-a-burstin' and usually my search ends here. For me, the excitement of a gondola ride is watching the gondolieri do his thing. Oh baby!

Each gondolieri station offers a different route. It's best if you choose your own route because only you know what would make the most exciting ride.

Give them a check for $150 and present it with creativity and tell them it's specifically for their gondola ride. They will adore you for giving them the freedom to choose.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 07:34 AM
ira

Hi Finz,

Lovely idea. However, I agree with NYCFS.

Give them an envelope containing a handcrafted voucher good for one Venetian Gondola Ride and a check.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 07:43 AM

Not to hijack the thread -- but what's the typical gift (dollar equivalent) for a wedding these days?

And perhaps more on topic, does a gondola ride cost $150 in Venice?
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 10:49 AM

Lovely idea--You could order a gondola souvenir,like a key chain or replica of a gondola from the internet and attach Euros(buy at local bank) for their gondola ride. Or oder several postcards and cover a box or envelope and enclose money for their adventure. Your a very thoughtful friend.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:30 AM

Gondola rides are negotiated based on time and route. I chose $150 because that will easily purchase a 100 Euro ride (some might call that an average ride) and still leave room for a bottle of Prosecco (or a slightly longer ride) and the Gondolieri tip. Simple math Italian style.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:26 PM

111op, you could be like my friend's father and wait to fill in the amount on the check until you've tasted the meal. Crikey!

FINZ, what a thoughtful idea--good luck whatever you decide.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:09 PM

Hi Finz
I have just the site for you to chck out..

Gondola Serenade
http://www.affiliate.viator.com/broc...4&AUID=967
and also expedia.com and do a search for Gondola Rides

The first site charges $46 PP and Expedia charges $42.50 pp. Don't really know which is safer to book....I have never used Expedia before , has anyone booked with Expedia? How did you like it? Do you think its safe to book a gondola ride before you get there?
Appreciate any info.
Thanks Frank and Val
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Those are group tours, I imagine your newlywed friends would prefer to have the gondola to themselves ;-)
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 08:21 PM

Actually, the site is vague about minimums and that dinner option afterwards seems a bit pushy. I would never trust such a service because it's so unnecessary and far from the norm. It seems to prey on the unknowing, which tends to be <i>de rigeur</i> in Venice.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 04:52 AM
ira

&gt;has anyone booked with Expedia?

Yes

&gt;How did you like it?

It was OK

&gt;Do you think its safe to book a gondola ride before you get there?

I would recommend against it. You won't know with whom or where you will be going.

For $46 pp, you should have a gonodola for two.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 08:08 AM

My suggestion would be to find out where they are staying and contact that hotel and get them to do the arranging, at your expense. They would certainly be knowledgeable about what is available, such as a gondolier with a musician.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 09:06 AM

Thanks Ira for your info on the prepaid Gondola ride. I think we will wait till we get there..
Frank and Val
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 07:12 AM

You can try www.venice-gondola-reservation.com

But I have no idea if these guys are good, honest, reliable... and will deliver what they promise ! They ask you for a 10% deposit by credit card, and the rest paid at the time.