Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pre-book tour for the Clock Tower in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Venice for three nights the second week in September. I really want to tour the clock tower, I'm still undecided about the Secret Itinerary tour of the Doges Palace.

I will book tours if necessary, but I don't want over-schedule my time before I get there. How hard will it be to get tours once I'm in Venice. Does the clock tower tour sell out? Has anyone reserved the Secret Itinerary tour once in Venice?
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:32 AM

I've never heard of any clock tower tour. Even if there is one, there's no point in joining it. You want to do the clock tower on your own, and you don't want to (but you will!) stand in line for a while until you get it.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:35 AM

Ah yes, and Itinerari segreti may very well be sold out by the time you arrive. Highly recommended to book it in advance. It's an interesting tour if - IF - you are combining it with a "normal" visit of the Doge's Palace, i.e. of the parts you can see without a tour. Bear in mind that both tours together - the guided itinerari segreti, and your individual tour of the "public" parts of the palace take incredibly much time: more than half a day since there's so much to see there.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Sorry, and now I recognize what you were thinking of: "clock tower tour" - you want to see the Torre dell'Orologio, right? And not, what I was thinking, the Campanile? If it's Torre dell'Orologio, then yes, you need a tour; and no, I don't think they sell out very regularly.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Yes, it is the Torre dell'Orologio that I want to see. I just wanted to know if it was advisable to book it ahead of time.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 04:00 AM

Yes, it does sell out, even off-season. It was sold out the day I tried to go in late November. But that was right after it reopened, so it may have changed since.