Search

Best way to "do" the Tower of London

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2009, 06:04 AM
lol
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to "do" the Tower of London

My husband and I are planning a trip to London in late September and we want to see the Tower of London. We have been to London many times but never to the Tower of London. Is it easily done alone or should we go for a guided tour, if so which company. I understand that, once inside the Tower, there is a tour every 30 mins by Yeoman Warders, is that enough? We both love history and want to hear all the gory details. . Any suggestions.

Thanks very much
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 06:10 AM

It is very easy to do on your own!

Get there first thing in the morning and head straight for the crown jewels...you may be alone viewing them if you do this. Then head back to the front gate and pick up a free beefeater tour.

Expect to spend half a day at least.

London Walks does a tour although I've never used it...www.walks.com and its very affordable and every walk I have been on with them is quality.

Dont forget if you get a paper travel card for that day you can get in 2for1.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 06:12 AM

The beefeater tour is pretty extensive...although can be quite large depending on the day you go. I would go during the week if you can. But if you are there earlier enough you should be fine!
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 06:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Very easy to do on your own.

The best option is to get there just before opening time when there are virtually no crowds. Then when inside, ignore the Yeoman Warder who is likely standing on the bridge organizing the first tour. Go directly to the Jewel House to view the Crown Jewels. If you are there early, you will virtually be alone in the jewel vaults -- later on the queues can be <u>enormous</u>.

Then after leaving the jewel house, wander back towards the entrance to join up w/ the next Yeoman Warder tour. Be sure to have a £1 or £2 coin to tip him (though there is now one "her") as you leave the chapel at the end of the tour.

Then explore the rest of the Tower complex that the tour didn't cover -- and there is a LOT to see. It will take the better part of 4 hours just for the highlights and visiting a gift shop or two.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 06:17 AM

was posting the same time as jamikins . . . .
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 06:22 AM

You have great advice janisj
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 06:48 AM

yeah - you think we convinced the OP
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Do it for half price -- use the Days Out Guide 2for1 offer and instead of paying 34 quid for the two of you, you can get in for 17.

Click on my name, I commented on some thread yesterday about how to do all this.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 11:08 AM

I highly recommend the after-hours Ceremony of the Keys tour! Make sure you write to them soon for tickets and they do send the tickets back to the USA, you don't pick them up at the Tower. The biggest problem I had was finding a post office that had the International Coupons that must be enclosed with your request (for postage).

Here's info on how to request tickets:
http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/...ofthekeys.aspx

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Definite yes re ILUVPARIS' suggestion for the Ceremony of the Keys - it's a wonderful idea (I think I've been maybe 10 times). Just don't think it is a tour or replaces visiting the Tower during normal opening hours. You don't get to tour any of the complex, mostly hearing the history of the ceremony, watching the locking up, and then a very brief walk into the upper ward to listen to Last Post on the bugle . . .
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 11:51 AM
lol
Original Poster

Hello and thanks very much for the info. I am very excited about the Yeoman Warders Tour now. I am still confused about the 2 for 1 offer. What I understand is that if I buy a paper train ticket I can get that offer, is that it? What kind of train ticket? I have my oyster crad that I usually top up at each visit to London. Can someone clarift please.

Thanks
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 12:28 PM

I actually liked the Yeoman Warder's tour when I went (found it enjoyable and informative), though like janisj said, you can certainly see the Tower complex on your own. Would recommend getting in on the earliest such tour as the crowd may be smaller.

In any event, would strongly recommend going to the Tower first thing when it opens. Then head for the Crown Jewels right away and you'll likely have them all to yourself -- janisj is entirely right that lines get long and can become huge the later in the day you go there otherwise.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 02:32 PM

"<i> I actually liked the Yeoman Warder's tour when I went (found it enjoyable and informative), though like janisj said, you can certainly see the Tower complex on your own. </i>"

Um --I hope ther is no confusion. I did not say see it on your own - meaning skipping the Beefeater/Yeoman Warder tour. I very clearly meant (at least I hope it was clear) that one can visit the Tower on your own <u>w/o paying a guided tour company</u> like the OP asked. I said - definitely go on the YW tour after visiting the crown jewels.

lol: You can't use your Oyster to get the 2 for 1 specials. What you need to do is -- on a day you want to use a 2 for 1 -- go to one of the mainline train stations (like Victoria, King's Cross, Charing Cross, etc) and buy a travel card for that day. It will cover you for the tube/buses/trains that day and also be valid for the 2 for 1's. The ticket must be bought in the train station - not in the attached tube stations.

You could go ahead and use your Oyster on other days. But the specials require a "train" ticket, not a tube ticket or Oyster. You also have to pre print the vouchers - probably before you leave home.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 12:41 AM

Just to be clear, you need to go to the national rail stations that janisj states above and get a paper ticket (its orange with the double arrow national rail signal).
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 05:18 AM
lol
Original Poster

Thanks a lot guys, now I understand.