Pre and post cruise accommodation in Vencie and Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be atking a cruise from Vencie in July and will be there the day before. What hotels would you recommend that are easy to get to from the airport? How far is the cruise dock from Venice itself?
We will then have an extra day in Barcelona after the cruise before we fly out. Any ideas for hotels?
We like good acommodation that is clean and tidy and in a good location.
Thanks again
Donna
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:13 PM

Hi again Donna. I think there are more than one cruise dock in Venice and both are in Venice proper I think (vs the airport which is not). There's one dock on or near Zattere. Not sure where the other is. The hotel options near the airport are not very nice. You should either post more detail about the cruise, the dock etc. OR there's a message board cruisecritic.com where you may find others who've been on your exact cruise and could provide knowledge of their experience.

Don't know if you realize there's also a search function here. If you type venice cruise AND hotel or hotel near airport or whatever you're looking for into the text search box above, you'll get threads on the left. Same for Barcelona where I can't really help.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:40 PM

Found your post on the cruise board here with your ship name. Did a quick search on cruisecritic. Your ship and the cruise gets RAVE reviews. Lots of people posting there. You might find some folks on your trip.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I will check with the agent to se which port the ship leaves from.
Do you have any hotel recommendations in Venice?
Thanks again
Donna
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 03:05 AM

You might want to check a couple of sources for hotels in Barcelona such as www.maribelsguides.com and also TripAdvisor.

There seems to be a difference of opinion as to what is "the best" or "central" location in Barcelona.

Even though Maribel says she would never stay on Las Ramblas as an adult I still see it as the center of the action, whether you agree with the "action" that goes on there or not. One hotel there which will have been renovated by the time you arrive is LeMeridien but these days it is pricey at 390Euros and up.
The nearby Colon which Maribel descibes as being tired and overpriced although she does admit that if you stay there having a room with a view of the gothich cathedral across the square "might" be worth it....I've done this very thing and it is unforgettable. But I understand that the cathedral is currently under scaffolding so that might not be a great option.

Another possibility is the Arts but it is somewhat farther removed from the center of things; the Grand Marina will undoubtedly be where your cruise ship docks but some don't like its "modern" quality.

Many choices and a nice "problem" to have. Your ultimate "quality" of your final decision will end up depending on your own particular tastes and interests, but that's really true for all travelers.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 03:12 AM

La Calcina is one of the best loved hotels in Venice on this board. It happpens to be right at the Zattere stop of the alilaguna (boat bus)from the airport. If the cruise ship also stops along there, it would be doubly convenient. But even if it doesn't, it's a great hotel with many rooms that have a nice water view. They have a roof terrace that you can reserve ahead for private use. They also now have a small rest. in the hotel that evidently has good food at good prices.

The other hotel that everyone raves about is Locanda Orseolo. It is close to San Marco (La Calcina is a 10-15 min walk but in a very nice spot).
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 04:44 AM
ira

Hi Lordy,

>Do you have any hotel recommendations in Venice?<

What's your budget?