Praiano in April

Search

Praiano in April

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Praiano in April

Hi - I have posted a couple of times on an upcoming trip to the Amalfi coast.
For some reason Praiano appeals to me - I kind of like being away from the very touristy areas. Looking at the Hotel La Perla. Having said that, we will be travelling in April. Will Praiano be TOO quiet? From what I read about the hotel it is easily accessible by bus and easy to take the bus to other places on the Amalfi coast from a bus stop right outside the hotel, so I thought it might be a good fit.
Also - on the hotel website they said that they can arrange a private shuttle from the airport for 80 euros for up to 4 people, which seemed like a good deal.
Thanks for your help - everyone on these boards is great.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 08:28 AM

Just be aware that the hotel is a good 2 miles from the main part of town and the support functions you may need. We like Praiano but stayed in Vettica Maggiore which has many of the shops and ristorantes.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi Bob - thanks for the input. Can you recommend a hotel similar in size / style / budget to the La Perla in Praiano, but in Vettica Maggiore? We won't have a car, so access to public transportation woudl be important.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 02:12 PM

gillybrit,

I've stayed in Praiano twice. The first time was late March, 3 nts at Hotel Fiori*** right on the road, across from Tramoto d'Oro****. Our visit was pleasant temps during the day, 2 nts of torrential rain with thunderstorms, but then nice during the day. Perfect weather for visiting Pompeii, not too hot or crowded! Town was VERY quiet, but restaurants were open and SITA buses were a pleasure.

Second visit, I stayed at Le Sirene***, down many stairs from the church. Lovely small hotel and wonderful owners. They will cart your luggage up when you leave. This visit was in mid-Sept and the weather was nearly perfect, a bit on the hot and humid side for someone who comes from the desert. SITA buses were a nightmare! More people in town, but still not resorty. I love Praiano. Le Sirene has a web site. I would recommend them.

Buon viaggio!
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 04:05 PM

Hi,
We stayed at the Tramonto D'Oro. It is a wonderful hotel. The views are fabulous and it is in the center of town. The bus is right outside the front door. When the view got too beautiful for us, we enjoyed having a drink across the street where we could sit and watch the traffic.

Have fun,
Yipper
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 05:58 PM

Good input above---but neither are really like La Perla. We stayed in an apartment close to both hotels above and found the location very convenient. The Sirene is cute but you will need real good legs. Here are my shots--note the church as the centro location in Praiano.
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4481
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi Bob - can you tell me why you say that the other recommendations aren't like La Perla? I'm OK with needing good legs for La Sirene - we like to hike, so I think we'll be fine.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 07:09 AM

That part of the coast is all about access to the coast and the Bay of Praia. You are somewhat isolated but have great views and access to the water. The hotel I like best at that location is Onda Verde. The SITA bus does stop near there--as it does also in Vettica Maggiore--but too isolated for my taste.