Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Prague - worth visiting week before Xmas ?

Dec 1st, 2000, 05:33 AM
jac

My husband and I are looking for a few days away the week of 17th December for our wedding anniversary. Prague is one city which seems to have very affordable specials at this time. Is it worth going or will it be just too cold and miserable ? I've looked at the weather channels but am not sure if it's likely to rain. Any advice about visiting Prague at this time would be appreciated. Thanks

Dec 1st, 2000, 05:35 AM
jac

What I meant to say was I didn't know if it was likely to SNOW, not rain. Sorry.

Dec 1st, 2000, 07:10 AM
karen

We were there from Nov. 23-30. It was mild winter weather, with occasional sprinkles of rain. Nothing that held us back from enjoying ourselves. I just unpacked a lot of warm clothing we never needed. Of course, late December will be colder, but the weather was not as cold for our trip as was predicted, maybe you will luck out also. The week before XMas will be wonderful. The City is already gearing up- in a tasteful manner. If you never have been to Prague, you probably will be amazed how many beautiful buildings there are to see. A lot of walking on cobblestone streets, so bring comfortable walking shoes. If you like classical music, there are several concerts each night with quartets in churches to see even if you are not able to see a symphony. You will be flooded with information for these at the Old Town square where the Astronomical Clock is.

Dec 1st, 2000, 11:05 AM
james

Everybody loves Prague - it's a city to see on foot, so pack those comfy shoes. It could be VERY cold - Siberian winds can chill you to the bone, so take skiing clothing!! It could of course be mild, but better err on the side of caution. Have fun!

Dec 2nd, 2000, 02:43 PM
Paul

Not everyone loves Prague. It is OK but to our taste there are more enjoyable places. We had high expectations which we not met. We were there from 11/15-19 this year. The weather was OK i.e. no rain but it was mostly cloudy and cool high about 45-55 F. However the days were short! Be prepared for even shorter days in December and sunset before 4 PM. Have a good trip and enjoy.

Dec 3rd, 2000, 12:42 AM
jac

Thanks for the responses. Paul, so why didn't you much like Prague ? Details would be appreciated. As we'd be braving some serious cold weather, it would need to be worth it.