Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

PRAGUE: Which sites come alive with a private LOCAL guide??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

September 2008 is our first family visit to magical Prague. >< We are staying in the Little Quarter (Mala Strana) in Prague for 5 nights. (Our trip includes London, Prague, and Krakow.)

QUESTION:
Which Prague sites are self-explanatory...easy to understand on our own? And which sites really come alive best with a local private guide?

Please help me plan our itinerary by giving me your personal answer to the question. (Feel free to be subjective!)

I have our rough itinerary, but I'm not sure how best to use the time with our private local guide, who I'm booking through www.prague-guide.info . We'll be on our own part of the time, and with our guide part of the time.

Our itinerary so far (and I welcome suggestions):

Tuesday, September 2008
fly London to Prague

Wednesday:
6-hour introductory tour with our private local guide, including intro to Prague plus these main sites:
-Prague Castle
-St. Vitus Cathedral
-Nerudova St.
-Golden Lane
-castle grounds
-include Charles Bridge and part of Old Quarter if there's time

Thursday, September 2008:
--Old Town sites (Stare Mesto)
--Jewish Quarter sites (Josefov)

Friday, September 2008:
--NEW TOWN SITES: (Nove Mesto)
-sites where history took place (Velvet Revolution, Museum of Communism, etc.)
-Art Nouveau sites

(Note: If there is time, we could include some of the Old Town sites on the same day as the New Town sites.)

Saturday, September 2008:
Spontaneous, Unplanned Day

Sunday, September 2008:
Leaving Prague: 2 choices:
--take train to Olomouc
or:
--arrange driver to take us on a day-trip which ends up delivering us to our new hotel in Olomouc.

Olomouc is our 1-night stopover on the way to Krakow.

Thanks in advance for your ideas, opinions, suggestions, memories of Prague.

Old Aug 6th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

WHOOPS! I forgot to mention that I want to book a second half-day tour with our private local guide...but I'm not sure how to use the time.

As I mentioned in my original post above, our first tour with our guide will be an introductory tour on our first full day in Prague, with the tour highlights being the Prague Castle and St. Vitus Cathedral.

Old Aug 6th, 2008, 05:05 PM

We did everything ourselves except for 2 walking tours that we picked up at the Town Hall. One was an architectural tour of the Old Town (about 8 people) and one was the ghetto (about 10 people - and absolutely fascinating).

I've never understood the need for a private guide - I prefer to do things as they come - based on weather, what we did the night before, when we feel like getting up etc. Otherwise it's too much like work and not enough like a vacation.

For some reason we've found brief walking tours much better that the longer variety (or at least as much of them as we can hear by listening in on the tours in the places we're looking at ourselves). They tend to move faster than we want - and not include enough depth - assuming least common denominator basic knowledge. And while we're not experts we're both reasonably well-informed and do a bit of reading beforehand - and frankly - could lead most of the tours we see (not that we're that good but they're that bad). (On the walking tour of the Old Town one person wasn't even aware of who Jan Hus was.)
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

nytraveler, thanks for the quick reply! I hear ya...and I do know who Jan Hus was. I understand what you're saying about the "least common denominator" tour. But we have our own guide just for our family, so we can hear things in as much depth as we choose.

We do like seeing a lot on our own, too. But for example in Rome, we saw everything on our own except for Ancient Rome. We were so pleased to have our own private local guide for the ruins...otherwise, they wouldn't have come to life, and would have looked like piles of old rubble.

Also, I'm feeling overextended myelf on this trip...normally I do tons of research and feel really well-prepared. But in this case we're visiting 3 different countries, with 3 different currencies, 3 different languages, different histories, etc. Though I"ve learned quite a lot, I don't feel as confident as I do when we visit one country at a time.

I'm sure we'll learn things from our private local guide which we don't know already. (There won't be anybody else on our tour with us, just our family.)

Sounds like you got a lot out of your tour of the "ghetto". Thanks for sharing your opinions and experiences.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 09:54 PM

Personally, the "New Town" sights might be take on a whole new meaning with a tour guide. Wenceslas Square, itself, has so much political history. The surrounding area has very important buildings (and neat architecture), and you would probably not get the whole scoop, unless you have a local giving you their perspective of things. Younger people (and I mean late 30's) will have their own stories about the Velvet Revolution, growing up in Communism, protesting during their university years, etc, while the older generations will have even more fascinating stories. I'm not saying the other areas of Prague don't come along with fascinating stories, but when I've walked through New Town with locals, they always have a lot to say about their own experiences, which, to me, is very interesting.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

amp322, thanks! I'm glad to hear that you really got the local perspective when walking through the "New Town" with locals.

That is what I was thinking... Touring places like Wenceslas Square with a guide who lived in Prague through the communist era and witnessed the "Velvet Revolution"...getting an opportunity to discuss this...it's as close to "living history" as I can imagine. Without the guide and her stories, it might just look like another square.

Do we need to see the Jewish Quarter with a guide or without? I am thinking, maybe see it on our own... We aren't Jewish but are interested in religions, cultures, history, people... I am a reflective type of person... Some of what you can see in the Jewish Quarter...I think I might need to sit on a bench by myself and write in my journal after seeing things like the drawings of the Terezin Children's art exhibit...

Old Town sites: better with a guide or on our own? I'm not sure.

St. Vitus Cathedral and the Prague castle... better with a guide or on our own? Not sure...

It is interesting to hear about the experiences of other travellers who used private tour guides.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 02:07 AM

I just came back to Paris from Prague this week, and took my family (1/2) along as well. We stayed in Mala Strana, I could not have asked for a nicer place or Hotel. We used a recommended guide for the first day, and she took us (on foot) to almost all the important sites in one day (morning and afternoon). Although we DID not visit the insides of all sites, gardens, palaces, she did show us where to return the next 2 days, and after we got our bearings that day with her, we went back and spent more time at each individual site the next few days.

She was a resident that lived through the communist era there, and her insights were invaluable. I wouyld Definately go with a guide the first day, not sure if you need one afterwards. This guide speaks only a bit of English, but her Spanish is fantastic, and that was OK for us.

Have a nice time. Wher are u staying in Prague?
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 02:14 AM
lol

Hello
Intex, which hotel did you stay at in the Mala Strana?

Thanks
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 05:40 AM

Mandarin Oriental- a beautiful hotel in one of the nicest, calmest areas.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 06:03 AM
LJ

If you have a literary bent, you might enjoy this 'Franz Kafka Tour' of Prague. Francine Prose raves about it in 'Book of Unforgettable Journeys' (A Conde Nast Traveler book).
www.franzkafka-soc.cz

You may want to read her essay in any case, even if you are not a Kafka fan; it contains a great deal of information and inspiration.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 08:58 AM

You can get group tours to the main sites (castle, Old Town, Josefov, etc), if you want. Most of those tours meet under the famous clock in Old Town. There are also theme tours (there are tons of advertised ones - look for ads in the Town Hall/Astronomical Clock foyer), like pub crawls, Prague at Night, Communist Prague, Prague boat tour, architecture in Prague, you name it.... I've done lots of those, and it just depends on your interests. You will probably be able to find one that explores New Town, and covers the architecture, history, etc. I've seen ones like that posted. Very often, there are small groups for those tours, so you'll get individual attention. You might not need an actual private guide.

Josefov (Jewish area) can be done by yourself - and maybe with a guide book! It is pretty easy to figure out. Like you said, walking around the other parts of town, you might miss important buildings, unless they are pointed out to you. The really touristy areas are already all set up for you to know what's going on.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 09:25 AM

If you can find an older (WWII Era) historian/guide; you will get a very different view of the Allies, especially Gen Patton and the Third Army. Many, many czechs blame the Allies for the rash of deaths in the days immediately prior to the fall of Praha. Patton was ordered to halt short of the city, and allow it to be taken by the Soviets. The Germans garrisoned in the city were in panic, they feared being captured by the Russians. The local guerillas started attacking the Nazis, causing them to fight back and kill many Czech fighters. If Patton entered the city, the Germans were prepared to surrender in masse, and stay in their barracks, awaiting instructions from Gen Patton, which would have avoided unnecessary bloodshed.
Anyway it is an interesting and different point of view on the "liberation" of Praha.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Intex, it sounds like you had a good plan for Prague, and a terrific guide. I like your idea of using the guide for orientation purposes. Also, of course, while she is "showing us the ropes", she can also provide a lot of insight.

You mentioned you "got your bearings" that first day with your guide. I think that is what I need on this trip. Usually I "get my bearings" while still at home on the computer! But as I mentioned, I feel anxious about this trip because I haven't had the time I usually devote to all 3 cities on our itinerary...Prague (and London and Krakow.)

While I know quite a lot about Prague by now...more than many tourists know even after they return from Prague...it's not enough for ME. We leave in several weeks...and I haven't even had time to put in my CDs to learn a little Czech and Polish yet.

By the way, you asked where we are staying...House at the Big Boot (Dum U Velke Boty) in Mala Strana area.

I sure could use some encouraging words from any overplanners out there who have every fretted because they felt underplanned for a trip!
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

LJ: Thanks for recommending the Franz Kafka tour. It's been many years since I've read Kafka...but I do love reading.

amp322: I appreciate your impression that the most touristed areas are already set up to be convenient for a do-it-yourself experience. It does seem that Josefov is "user-friendly", for independent visitors...

longboatkey: You're right, I think each generation in Prague has experienced different "history" and may have differing perspectives. I'm looking forward to meeting our hosts at our guesthouse...there are 2 or 3 generations in their family, and I will be interested in any stories they wish to share.

Thanks for everyone's ideas.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 04:05 PM

This is a great read. I will be in Prague in December, and have planned nothing.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

elcon: You sound relaxed...sounds like that works for you. For me, if I arrive someplace where I haven't planned thoroughly...I spend the entire vacation reading guidebooks, always planning our next move, missing what is right in front of me.

Whereas...if I've planned thoroughly in advance, I find I don't even really need the guidebooks anymore, as I've MEMORIZED them! Then I can relax and enjoy what is in front of me. Oh yes, I say to myself...I've ready about this!

Enjoy Prague in December!
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 05:05 PM

Melissa, We were in Prague in May and hired a guide for the Old Town and the Jewish Quarter. It was a half day tour on our 1st day there and really laid the foundation for our trip. We felt a connection with the Czech people and their endurance. Milan Pelant was our guide and we would highly recommend him. This is the bio that was sent to us before the tour.
Milan is a licensed tour guide of the Czech Republic and Prague. He has worked as a tour guide for 10 years for several local companies. He can speak English, German, French, Italian. He is very informative guide with a human approach and a great sense of humor. He can bring the history alive and let you understand the fears and the dreams of local people. He was an active member of the Velvet Revolution 1989, so his stories definitely cross the borders of the guidebooks!http://www.prague-guide.info/

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Darnwright: What a coincidence! The first guide we requested was Milan Pelant! But he will be on vacation during our visit to Prague. We have booked another guide within the same group...Jana Kratka will be our guide. She is available through the same web-site that you mentioned... www.prague-guide.info .

It is also very helpful for me to hear that you got so much out of your half-day tour which included the Old Quarter and the Jewish Quarter.

It's very humbling to realize how many languages these guides speak fluently enough to lead a tour group... How many languages do we speak fluently? (I'm sorry to have to say that if California doesn't place a higher priority on the education of our young people, they will be lucky if they speak one language fluently!
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 09:29 AM

I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy your tour.
That is amazing that you had requested Milan. He was able to keep the attention and interest of our 24 yr. old daughter and our 26 yr. son. (They wanted to shop).
We did go back on our own to the Jewish Cemetery and to see the children's art work. It is very sobering and you will need time to reflect. We also went to an afternoon concert at the Prague Castle and saw the Leibowitz collection. Fascinating. Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Darnwright: thanks for sharing your experiences in fascinating Prague! Milan must certainly have the magic touch when he can distract young people away from shopping.

I'm amazed that I just finished typing up my Prague itinerary. It's 6 pages long! Too long, but I find it makes more sense to have too much detail and delete some while editing...instead of not having enough detail and having to look things up later...

It's only a few weeks til we leave for London/Prague/Krakow. I feel frantic to finish details and start packing.

My reflections, research, and everyone's advice seems to point to the fact that the New Town sites (and the "Velvet Revolution&quot would be best understood with a guide. Whereas the Old Town, Jewish Quarter, and Castle sites could go either way... see them on our own, or with our guide.

Thanks to all of you fodorites who have answered my various questions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -