Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Prague to Frankfurt...4 trains and 12 hours!!! Please tell me there's a better way.

Search

Prague to Frankfurt...4 trains and 12 hours!!! Please tell me there's a better way.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (4 adults) will be travelling from Prague to Frankfurt in June. A travel agent/friend has come up with this scenario...4 trains and a 12 hour trip for $107 per person.
Is there an easier way to do this? A direct train, or one with less connections? A reasonable (say $120 or less), flight? I'd even consider renting a car for the trip if that makes sense.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 11:27 AM
rex

Fly www.germanwings.comfrom Prague to Koeln/Bonn. Rent a car (might be fastest) or take the train to Frankfurt (is that where you actually need to end up?)

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 11:28 AM
yk

Larry-

I looked at DB's website for you. There are definitely trains with 1 change only and takes 7.5 hrs.
I wasn't able to pull up fares for June, but when I plugged in a random day in March, for 4 adults, the cheapest price is €187,70 total. I guess that comes out to $237.

I don't mind being your travel agent if you give me half of the $ you can save.
www.bahn.de
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 12:22 PM

What kind of agent is this? You can do this whole trip for 30 Euros per person if you travel on a weekend and have that much time.

Plan your travel on a Sat or a Sun. Buy a regular ticket for Prague to Marktredwitz (23 Euros each, according to www.bahn.de., probably less if bought in Prague; 4.5 hrs, maybe 1 change of train.) Then, buy a "Happy weekend" ticket for the regional trains for Marktredwitz to Frankfurt (6 hrs., 28 Euros for 4 people total, 1 change of train, valid only on the RE, RB trains on Sat or Sun.)
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 01:12 PM

There is one direct train from Prague to Frankfurt. The direct is an overnight train. The faster trains (7.5 hours)have one change in Desden. Check the bahn site referenced above for the schedules. We are doing this trip by train so we can stop off in Dresden for a few hours to walk around the reconstructed old town.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 01:18 PM

We did this a couple of years ago and then there was one train with no changes - it left Frankfurt after lunch and arrived in prague around midnight. I don't recall the fare - but it was less than flying - it seems to me about $150 (first) but I don't guarantee the price.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Appreciate the replies.

rex - yes, we need to get to Frankfurt, we are flying out of there the day after this train trip.
I wasn't aware of the bahn site, it looks like there are quite a few better options. We will be travelling on a Saturday, so we could consider taking advantage of Russ' idea, though it appears as though that route would still take 10.5- 11 hours, and we'd probably opt for one of the 7.5 hour alternatives.
Thanks for the suggestions.