Search

Prague or Istanbul with family

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2023, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague or Istanbul with family

Hi All,

This is my first post here so apologies in advance if this is a wrong forum.

We (Wife, I and kids: 11yr and 7 yr old) have a family trip planned to Vienna and Budapest for June '23. Getting into Vienna and have 4 days with extended family and then four of us go over to Budapest.

Our flight is out of Istanbul but we don't necessarily have to visit the city (and can just transit out of it).

We will have 3 days before we fly back to the states and need to decide if to go to Prague or Istanbul for those.

Would love to get this forum's input on which of the two cities will be better considering kids (I have been to Istanbul about 15 yrs back). Also, will Prague be a lot like Vienna (culture, architecture, food etc.).

Old Apr 17th, 2023, 11:12 AM

Since you are flying out of Istanbul, it makes more sense to visit that city. I think it would also give you a glimpse into a culture that is very different compared to what you will be seeing in Vienna and Budapest.

Personally, I preferred Istanbul over Prague although Prague is certainly worth visiting. Prague was interesting but Istanbul was fascinating.
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 12:36 PM

Prague and Istanbul - two of my favorite cities!

Prague is like being in a real-life fairy tale, albeit one with crowds! The architecture is amazing; there is something beautiful at every turn.

Istanbul is this great mix of East meets West. To me it felt different enough to be really interesting and exciting but familiar enough to not feel totally out of my element. I don't have kids, but I imagine Istabul would be more interesting to them - from the Grand Bazaar, to the Galata Tower, Cistern, Topkapi Palace, ice cream carts and dozens of (clean, well nourished) community cats. Since you need to spend time traveling there for your flight, it makes more sense to spend your extra days there and cut down on travel time.
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 04:52 PM

I think that Istanbul is a better choice. Prague could be a disappointment after Vienna; everything is so much grander in the former imperial capital. The final section of this trip report is about Istanbul:

Trip Report: Turkey, 2008

In 2016 we also spent a few days in Istanbul. Here is what I wrote:

We flew from Budapest to Istanbul and spent four days there. We stayed at the Hotel Basileus ( http://www.basileushotel.com/ $292 for 5 nights through Expedia), in between the Blue Mosque area and the Kumkapi neighborhood, near the Little Hagia Sophia. It’s a family run affair, which is how they survive given the 25% reduction in tourism when we were there, after the bombing in the Blue Mosque area but before the bombing in the university area. Now, after the attempted coup, it must be much worse. This was our second visit to Istanbul, so we skipped the Topkapi and the Blue Mosque. We visited the Hagia Sophia under the impression that the renovation was finished; but it was not. On the other hand, we discovered the tombs next to the Hagia Sophia which we somehow had missed during our last visit and which have some wonderful tile work. This time the Suleyman Mosque was open, and we wanted to go back to one of our favorites, the Rustempasha Mosque but it was closed for renovation. We discovered that we prefer the spice market to the Grand Bazaar. We walked along the sea of Marmara and in the European side of Istanbul near the Hotel Pera. Had brunch in Aheste Pera (Aheste $31 + tip) that catered to a fully Westernized crowd (but we only heard Turkish) that could have been part of the Millenium oriented San Francisco restaurants—the food was good. We visited the Turkish & Islamic Arts Museum, which is less interesting than the archeological museum (closed at the moment, I believe) but had a special exhibit of the Koran through the ages which demonstrated a wonderful variety of calligraphy—the text is for us as meaningless as the text of an illuminated Medieval manuscript.

On our last day we visited the Sadberk Hanim Museum (Sadberk Han?m Museum ) which has a collection divided in two: one building contains the pre-historic and Roman artifacts, and the other the Christian era and Ottoman artifacts. It has a good mosaic collection, the only one we found which was not attached to the wall of a mosque or a palace. The hotel manager insisted that the town was within the greater Istanbul transportation district, and that a single fare would get us there and back, going there by bus and coming back by ferry. We had no problem getting there, but at the ferry terminal of that town it was impossible to get through with our transportation pass, the man insisted that we had to pay a much higher fare. So we returned by bus. We had two options, inland or along the shore, with the former going much faster. We decided to go back the way we came, along the shore, and it turned out to be fortuitous because there was a massive demonstration on Taksim Square where would have arrived had we taken the other bus. Back at the hotel the manager insisted that ferry rides are part of that single fare transportation system.

The neighborhood restaurant the hotel suggested was OK, the Kumkapi fish restaurant was better and far more interesting for people watching, we had a good meal at a small restaurant around the corner from Giritli, and best was Giritli (Giritli Restoran Istanbul $112 for 18 mezes, a main fish dish, dessert and raki and wine) where we had been in 2008. In most instances we paid we cash, and because of the strange small charges that have occurred, I think that this is the better way to go.

Here are the photos of Istanbul: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjp1wvrT

Last edited by Michael; Apr 19th, 2023 at 05:01 PM.
Old Apr 20th, 2023, 06:48 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you will be in Istanbul and it is an incredibly interesting city, stay in Istanbul. Hire private guides to maximize your time there.
Prague and Budapest are so similar, enjoy Istanbul!
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 05:21 AM

Istanbul and Prague are both vibrant cities with rich histories, but when it comes to choosing which city to visit, Istanbul takes the top spot. Here are some reasons why Istanbul outshines Prague in many aspects.
  • Istanbul sits at the crossroads of Europe and Asia, offering a unique blend of cultures. As the capital of three great empires - Roman, Byzantine, and Ottoman - Istanbul's diverse history is reflected in its architecture, food, and traditions. In contrast, Prague, while steeped in history, does not offer the same fusion of cultures.
  • Istanbul's Bosphorus Strait is a stunning sight that cannot be missed. The glittering waterway separating two continents provides panoramic views, with the city's skyline as the perfect backdrop. While Prague's Vltava River offers charming views, it simply cannot compete with the magnificence of the Bosphorus.
  • Istanbul's bustling bazaars and markets are a feast for the senses. The Grand Bazaar and Spice Bazaar, for instance, boast a dazzling array of colors, scents, and sounds. Prague's markets, while charming, do not match the energy and excitement found in Istanbul.
  • Istanbul's cuisine is a true delight, offering a mix of flavors that cater to every taste. The city's delicious street food, traditional dishes, and fusion options are hard to resist. Although Prague has a rich culinary scene, it lacks the variety and creativity of Istanbul's food offerings.
While both Istanbul and Prague have their own appeal, Istanbul stands out for its unique blend of cultures, breathtaking sights, vibrant markets, and delectable cuisine. So, when choosing your next city break, don't hesitate to pick Istanbul over Prague for an unforgettable experience.

Last edited by Moderator1; Apr 21st, 2023 at 06:11 AM. Reason: removed link to a website
Old May 8th, 2023, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. These inputs are very helpful. We have decided not to choose rather extend the trip by a few days and do both.