Prague or Florence

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague or Florence

Hi,
We are touring a number of places in Itely - Naples, Sorrento, Capri, Rome, and Venice. The 6th place we were going to include was Florence - however, our second option is to go to Prague. Considering we are already spending so much time in Italy - we are afraid Florence might be to similar to the other sights. How different is Florence compared to the other Italian cities we are visiting. Would you cancel Florence and go to Prague instead? Or is Florence a Must See? This is from someone who has never visited Italy or Czech Repulic.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 01:43 PM

HI
a few questions--
what time of year? Prague is always charming, but quite cold and snowy in winter most of the time.

Are you flying into one city and out of another? Prague is pretty far from all of your cities unless you are going to fly there to or from a first or last stop in Italy.

Prague is entirely different in that its culture is Czech. The language and food are entirely different (though Prague does have some Italian restaurants). Prague is less expensive because it's not on the Euro and because its economy is not the same as Italy's. It can have some of the same tourism/souvenir tackiness, but the merchandising hasn't caught up to Italy yet. Prague in summer has even more backpackers and student tourists than your cities in Italy.

Lots of differences.

On the other hand Florence has art treasures galore, and it's in Tuscany which is a dreamy place in itself, and you can't go wrong no matter what you decide.

I Loved Florence; I LOVED Prague, but I was there more recently and I'd already seen Florence so I wasn't depriving myself of one over the other.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:04 PM
ira

Hi HH,

Why Prague? Why not Paris, London, Berlin, Copenhagen, Lisbon, Madrid, Athens, Istanbul, Cairo, Hong Kong?

You are honeymooning in Italy. Stay in Italy.

See the Florence part of my trip report.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 04:18 AM
tmh

Florence hands down. Some of the most fabulous art work is there - David, the Ufizzi never mind Gilhbertis (sp) Baptism doors, the Duomo and it's dome and the bridge over the Arno. You can day trip to San Giammano (sp) - the town with the 14 towers.

Prague is one of my favorite cities but I still would stay in Italy and see Florence.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 05:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I've been to all the places you're planning in Italy, and am planning a trip to Prague myself. I can't see how you can spend all that time in Italy and not see Florence. It's different than any of the other places you're going and as others mentioned a wealth of history, art, architecture and culture. I would see Florence.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

hi - thank you everyone! ok so we are not honeymooning in Italy - I think I need to change my name which was created last year when we were honeymooning in Hawaii .

we chose Prague simply because we came across really cheap airline tickets for 10 euros and throught - hey why not. But ater more consideration - we figured, how can we got from rome to venice and skip florence. We definitely want to do more of eastern europe, perhaps next year, so maybe we can squeeze that in later. This trip we are flying into Paris from the US and including Italy into the trip. So it is pretty much - Paris and then the major cities of Italy. So I was afraid I would be "Italy'ied" out. I saw pictures and some wensites about Prague and it looked amazing and "different" which is why I got confused. I would've have like to vacation and get a feel for different countries.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:23 AM

IMHO it is impossible to get "Italied out". Florence is wonderful and much more convenient to the rest of your trip than Prague. The art, the countryside and the food are well worth spending time. I agree with most of those above, include Florence this time and Prague on a later trip.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:05 AM

I don't know...I have to admit that my husband and I got kind of "italied" out on our last trip! We absolutely loved Italy and can't wait to go back, but with this being our first trip there, we were ready to leave by the time our trip was over.

I'm not sure about how to respond to this question since I've never been to Prague, but I will give my thoughts on Florence. First, I will say that although we really enjoyed Florence, I don't think we would ever go back. We are not really "arty" people so we weren't interested in most of the museums except for the highlights. We found Florence to be a very interesting city but very crowded and congested and noisy, and this was in March. We absolutely loved Rome and Siena. Please keep in mind, though, that this was just our opinion and perspective and I wanted to share as it differs from most on this board. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from going by any means, but I wanted to give another view point. As always, to each their own!

I have to agree with the others though; it would be a shame to miss Florence. Since you are traveling around the rest of Italy, it would probably be better to include Florence/Tuscany into this trip and save Prague for a later trip.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Stay in Italy. I think it would be daft to fly all the way to Prague when you have so much to see in Italy's "backyard." Florence is an incredible city, and should not be missed. (I could stand all day in front of the Portinari Triptych in the Uffizi.)
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:03 AM

Hello, we've been to both Prague and Florence many times and both have their share of charming sites and identities. However, given that you're already in Italy and would require more travel and arrangements to see Prague, I would recommend sticking with Florence. Remember, you're not relegated only to Florence. Within 45 minutes of Florence is Arezzo, Pisa, and Siena. I would recommend getting a central hotel and seeing each town each day. Arezzo is excellent as on the first full weekend of the month they have the largest antique market in Italy (on Sunday). Siena is wonderful on Wednesdays for their outdoor market. Of course in addition to the markets are the usual allures. Also, I very much recommend Prague for a future visit. Don't wait too long, they'll be on the Euro (currency) before many more years and another benefit will be gone.

-Jonathan
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 02:00 AM

While Prague is beautiful,going to Italy and skipping Florence would be a crime.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:01 AM

Hawaii.... where did you find tickets to Prague for 10 Euros? Tell me more!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:24 AM

Totally agree with TMH. To visit Italy and not visit Florence is a crime.. Actually, it should be your #2 destination after Rome..So, if you must skip something, Florence should not be a casualty- it is only the birth-place of the Renaissance, modern history and art as we know it...No one calling themselves a "traveled" person should miss it...

While you are at it, you shoud visit Siena (which I like even more than Florence and, yes, San Gimignano). But doubt you will have time- I think Florence is a week-worth of a trip in itself...

Prague is absolutely gorgeous, but save it for the Vienna-Budapest-Prague tour next time...