Prague currency question

Old Jul 13th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague currency question

I will take the train from Berlin to Prague, once I arrive I won't have any local currency. To make matters worse I arrive on a Saturday when banks will be closed. I will need to take a taxi from the train station to my hotel. Are Euros accepted in Prague for purchases? If so, is the exchange rate fair? Where can I exchange currency on Saturdays? I don't plan on using an ATM except in emergencies. I will have cash and travellers cheques. Yes, I know that this maybe the older way of doing things, but my bank liberally blocks my ATM card even when I notify them that I will be travelling, in the past it has caused alot of problems when travelling and I prefer to keep cash and travellers cheques to exchange into local currency.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 06:45 AM

They will take euros in the cabs, but will tend to charge you a premium for the exchange. I think I'd change my bank if you're having so many problems with them, or what about opening a second account to use abroad with a different local bank? Ask around your friends and acquaintances to find a bank that can handle the overseas thing.

Travellers cheques and currency will be accepted for exchange at your hotel, but it's a really expensive way of carrying currency, not to mention a problem if you lose or have it taken.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:13 AM

Prague has currency exchange storefronts everywhere. I imagine there will be plenty in and around the train station.
In old town and everywhere else about every 3rd store is a currency exchange.
I thought the exchange rate was fair if you did not have the advantage of an ATM card.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Lifeman, thanks for your help. I did talk to my bank before I left on my last trip, even if I do open a new account, the bank will not issue another ATM card and they were going to link the new account with my existing card.

My friends don't travel much and if they do, it usually to one country so needing mulitple currencies is not a issue.

I am quite happy travelling with cash and travellers cheques for now, provided I can cash the travellers cheques without any problems.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

MarhaT, we were posting at the same time. Thanks for the info.

Question, are Euro coins accepted in Prague? I am particularly concerned about paying the taxi driver on arrival.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:36 AM

> Prague has currency exchange storefronts everywhere. I imagine there will be plenty in and around the train station.

Indeed there are many currency exchange counters and booths in the city center BUT that's one of the worst way to change. They say, no commission, show good rate, and somehow you get so much less from what you expect. Go visit Prague forum on T
tripadvisor site. The question is asked constantly and the answer is the same. That's a rip-off. The best is ATM but you cannot use it. I hope you can change your bank soon. There are a few exeptions to these rip-off exchange office and TA forum posts name them. I remember clearly one of its DE (destination experts) Martina living in Prague named one near the Old Town Square. it may take time to find the post that contains the information but if you text search there, you will evetually find it. All the others are ripp-off. Also post your question there. You might get other altenative ways.

Taxi rip-off is famous in Prague as well unfortunately. Read forum posts about that and prepare.

2 negative things about Prague but I love the city.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 01:53 AM

http://www.exchange.cz/kdo_jsme_en.php
the exchange office in Kaprova
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 03:22 AM

Wobbers, I think that's the one exception that's recommended by the locals on TA. Only 1 minute walk or so from the Old Town Square.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 06:57 AM

JSM: when are you leaving? You could probably set up a small account at Cap One online AND get the ATM card within a couple of weeks (and they may expedite the card on request). We did this -- no issues with Cap One, card works almost everywhere (it's on the Plus system) and they charge less than any other major bank for foreign exchange conversions. The card is ATM only, not debit, but that works fine for us.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 07:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Travelers checks are hopeless - and exchanging currency is expensive.

You are reluctant to use an ATM card -- but honestly -- that is BY FAR the best way to get cash.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everybody.

Russ, I do not live in the US, I live in Canada. Therefore, I cannot set up a Capital One like the one you set up. Wish I could it would save me alot of fees and aggrevation.
I have approached all the major banks here. Canadas banking system is different from teh US, in the US there are many regional banks, and some national banks. Canada has four major national banks. I bank with two different banks one has very high fees for tranactions, the other is my primary bank that I use and this it the bank that keeps blocking my ATM card. To say it's a PIA to contact them when on holiday is an understatement.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 08:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
MANY Canadians manage to use ATM cards all over Europe. Maybe post over on the Canada Forum or in the Lounge and ask how they manage?
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

janisj, great minds think alike! I just started a thread in the Canadian forum after my last post on this thread.

Thanks everybody for your help.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 05:57 AM

Day trips from Paris other than Normandy?
Maureen W
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 06:25 AM

I'll put your mind at ease...there is most assuredly going to be a currency exchange place in the train station if you insist on exchanging cash....will the rate be as good as you can get from an ATM? No but if the ATM is such a problem, that is the solution. For the most part, I found that most places a tourist might frequent in Prague will take euro but the exchange rate may or may not be very good and you may or may not get change in euro or in local currency.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 07:18 AM

Open an account at a bank where you can use an ATM card in Europe. That doesn't sound right that your ATM card is blocked. An ATM card is the easiest and the cheapest way to travel.

We do try to get some cash of the countries we are visiting before we leave home. Makes it much easier upon arrival.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 07:54 AM

I don't remember seeing an exchange office at the main railway station. And certainly nowhere around..........ATM yes.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 08:29 PM

Regarding taxi.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop...e_Bohemia.html